Thread: vegas 8 size problem after rendering

Default vegas 8 size problem after rendering

hey guys, i'm new to video editing and im having a problem. i recorded some sample footage on a camcorder at a store to check the quality when i got home, its an hd sony camera (hdr cx7). the file size was 203mb for about two minutes. so i loaded up vegas and messed around with render settings and i managed to render a file with great quality, but 5gb big. way way too big for two minutes. i am not sure what i did to make it so much bigger than the original file size. here are some of the settings i know i used, avi file, uncompressed, 32 bit floating point, and progressive scan. i have got to believe its the combination of the 32 bit floating point and that the file is uncompressed, my 8 bit files are much more manageable in size but the quality isn't as good. is there any way i can bring the file down under 1gb while keeping the 32bit floating point setting?

Blog Entries

What is your intended media? If you're not doing any further processing there's no point outputting in a higher quality format.
    Uncompressed AVI is massive. I'm surprised you can't get it down to under 1GB by choosing "normal" (compressed) avi.
    What pixel settings are you using (ie 1440 x 1080?)
    Where do you see the option to drop it to 8bit? (I only ask cos I can't find it anywhere)
    I can't get to your 5GB figure but to get an idea of how big uncompressed is assume you're shooting 720p
    I think the math is as follows
    1280 x 720 (pixels per frame)
    multiplied by 25 (frames per second)
    multiplied by 4 (bytes per frame - in 32bit)
    Works out at about 92MB per second
    Which is 11GB for two minutes.
    Please don't take this as gospel - and I'd be grateful if anyone corrects my understanding, but it sure shows how big these HD files can get.
    Tim