Thread: Backround on After effects

Default Backround on After effects

in after effects i was wondering wondering if you can make a clear backround and not have a solid color?? any help or information will help me outThanks

By a clear background do you mean a transparent background such as that from chromakeying/masking? If you are talking about compositing then you can use a green or blue backgroud cloth, just make sure it is well lit and watch out for shadows if you have your 'talent' standing in front of it. Shadows are a nightmare to get rid of in post production. You can also create mattes in the likes of Photoshop, these involve having one part of a still image (this is the method I use) taken as a video still frame, use the Channels in Photoshop and have one part white and the other part black. The black parts are see through and the white parts are solid. Save the extra image info as a .tiff and import it back into either Premiere Pro or AE and put it on a separate video track.

yes i do mean transparents and do i do all of that stuff or what?? im kinda a begginer

The Chromakeying or 'keying' effect is probably easier to get into than the mattes created in Photoshop; you just need a large backdrop cloth either blue or green in colour, make sure it is crease free or as near as possible. It has to be evenly lit and pay special attention to shadows, what I mean is, you don't want any falling on it as they are very difficult to get rid of in post production. Then you need a large flat surface such as wall to hang the cloth on, next you have to light it, and then place your talent in front of it.

Make sure they can stand far enough in front of it again not to cast a shadow onto the backgroud. Also, the talent cannot wear any colour of clothing similar to the background or they will become transparent aswell in post production, a bit like the invisible man (it's a good effect though if you want to try it). It's a good idea beforehand to come up with a video or still image to have in the background before shooting as it may influence how your talent reacts to his/her environment (they wouldn't wear Summer clothing while a video showing Siberia is playing in the background) and how you set up your lighting.

In after effects how can you get rid of the green screen then?? Because i dont want to see that green screen i want all of the backround to be transparent so i can movie the guy into a differnt scene how do i do that??

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    In after effects how can you get rid of the green screen then?? Because i dont want to see that green screen i want all of the backround to be transparent so i can movie the guy into a differnt scene how do i do that??
    Look up the effect called Keylight in after effects. Plenty of dicumentation about and if you;re really stuck then pop over to videocopilot.net where Andrew Kramer has an excellent beginners guide to keying video tutorisl.