Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why use two drummers?

Default Why use two drummers?

I was just watching tv earlier tonight and a band was on playing and I noticed they had two drummers, each with their own drumkit. One was at the back behind the band and the other was at the front. Does anyone know what the purpose of that setup is? It goes back quite a bit as it was Roy Wood and Wizzard from the 1970's, singing I wish it could be Christmas everyday... nice idea Roy, but I think once a year is enough.

Blog Entries

Maybe cos it was the 70s - we were all a bit mad then...

I've seen a band use two drummers live, and to be honest it was quite awesome.

They got some ridiculously complex beats going on that only an octopus could dream of pulling off on it's own.

Thanks for the replies, it just seemed odd seeing two drummers playing what looked like the exact same beats/timings or whatever they are called. Maybe at a live venue you would notice a difference but not really on tv. I remember growing up in the Seventies, we were so poor, we couldn't afford a bath. We had to stand under a hole in the roof in the kitchen and wait for it to rain. Our house was so small, the mice asked the local council to be re-housed. I remember all my friends were joining bands and buying instruments, so one day I asked my Father if he would teach me to play a musical instrument, and do you know what he did, he taught me how to whistle... aye, times were hard but we were happy!

Blog Entries

You had it lucky my son - I were brought up in't shoe box in't middle of road..... (llloooonnngggg monty python aside)

Blog Entries

Just for show in this case. Roy Wood is a showman.

Genesis have Chester Thompson and Phil Collins playing together. I've seen them live countless times and the effect is brilliant.

Blog Entries

You had a whole shoebox? You lucky bugger! We used to dream of having a shoebox

(Wasn't it Derek & Clive?)

I remember the Wizzard/Roy Wood thing with the two drummers.

luxury....we used to dream of living in t' middle o' road...tell the youngones nowadays....they won't believe you!

Default Ant Music

Adam and the Ants also enjoyed a lot of success with two drummers.
    One of them called hmself Merrick - if I remember correctly - but under his real name Chris Hughes went on to be a rather accomplished music producer.

Now the Ants had some damn fine rythmns...Just go back and Listen to Kings of the Wild Frontier album.

Who Know and there are different answers.

Allman Bros had two because Butch and Jaimo had such different styles that blended so well together and having the two of them contributed to their unique sound (now there are probably two because Butch is over 60!! - sorry Butch).

I was in a band in the late 60s and we used two drummers because one of them spent at least 1/2 of his time as a frontman singer.

You can punish yourself and see the reunion of 8 old men with two drummers at youtube searching at music for mouseandtheboys (I am not recommending this) and see one old guy banging on traditional drums and the other old guy banging on electronic drum kit. I am the only one with enough hair for a ponytail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast