Thread: Help! Recording Digital Drums

Default Help! Recording Digital Drums

Hi, I'm new to all this and i apologise now if I have put this thread in the wrong place! Not only am I new to video editing but I am also new to the concept of forums. Forgive me.......

Anyway, onto the problem. I play a Yamaha DTExpress IV electronis drum kit and I am wanting to make a play-along video for YouTube. This will involve me palying along to a song which I will also want on the video. I have tried this using my Samsung VP-DF351 camcorder. Here's what I did:

I played the original cd track and recorded it through channel 1 of my Tascam 4-Track recorder. Then I played the kit along to it on channel 2. The audio out jack had a cable sending all of this audio into the Mic jack on my camcorder whilst also obviously videoing the performance. Hope I explained that properly. I then ran it through a Firewire connection to my PC (1.2G RAM and around 5G Hard-disc space) and used Windows MovieMakerto save it and then put onto YouTube. My problem is that everytime I do it I get dropped frames and it speeds up in places. The camera View screen is broken but I don't think that would have any effect as when i view what is on the tape, it is all fine.

I have done this before with an acoustic kit and my videos came out fine and I used the same gear. Little plug-If you wish to view these enter DRUMSMITH81 into YouTube search.

I have just put extra RAM in from what a friend suggested but it was the same after. Please help if you can. I only want to show my videos....... Any help wil be very appreciated. Hopefully, Craig

Blog Entries

A difficult one. Are you saying that you lose sync between the two tracks on the Tascam? or is it a loss of overall sync when you upload it to youtube?
    I have heard of videos losing sync during the youtube conversion but haven't heard of any solution. In my experience Youtube has only lost sync once, on stereo stuff, so maybe you should just make it mono?

I looked at your video and, in my opinion you should re-record it anyway. Put the camcorder where you're looking towards it ( when you're on the hi-hat we only see the back of you) and add a bit of light. It'll improve the impression you make no end!

Hey Guru, thanks for the reply! I don't actually lose sync on any of it, it just speeds up then goes back to normal. Speeds up for about half a second then goes back to normal again. It always stays in sync. Was thinking that because it is an electronic kit that maybe the camcorder could not handle all of the audio frequencies or something and when it came to transferring to PC there was too much info to be passed over. I understand my kit and drumming but not computers. Hope that helped. Hope I haven't confused you more. Or given you another headache, lol. Thanks, Craig

The dropped frames you are getting could be caused by your hard disk not being defragmented, this needs to be done on a regular basis when working with video. It could also be that your computer may be under the minimum spec needed to capture video. Screen savers, anti virus software and any scheduled tasks need to be disabled everytime before you start video capture.

Hey Nikosony, thanks for reply. My computer gets defragged around every 2/3 days. Didn't used to do it that often but since I started messing with video I read it needs to be done regularly. The spec is: Acer Aspire (Celeron D) Around 5G Hard disc space and with 1.2G RAM.

Using a Celeron D (is that in a laptop?) and having only 5GB of hard disk space will be tight going. Can you not free up any more space on your hard disk? I think most users on the forum are using either Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon cpu's. Some video editors need a large hard disk storage space aswell called a Scratch Disk, Adobe Premiere Pro being one of them, that also might be causing you problems.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 12-06-2007 at 02:20 PM.

It is a Desktop PC. I have noticed that I can use Drive D. So far I have been using Drive C. Drive D has much more available space on it (39.5G)

Blog Entries

For video work it's usual to have the programs on one drive (usually C) and have the data on another drive.