Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Sony Vegas 8

Default Running Sony Vegas 8

Hello there

I have recently posted on the hardware forum of this website and have not had much joy there so I thought that I would give it a go in here as you might be the best people to ask.

I am just about to purchase a new system to run Sony Vegas Pro 8 which a business recently bought. I have recently joined the business and I have been using Vegas myself for a few years and am getting better/more exoerienced with its features and am building up on a nice library of effects that I use. I have had thye chance to play around with Vegas 8 a couple of times but untilo we aqquire new hardware I wont be able to have a propper play as the business's hardware does need reviewing. It has been left to me to look into computer hadrware as I will be the editor that has to use it. Previously I had very limited hardware knowledge and over the past couple of months I have tried to read as much as I can to get myself up to speed with what the latest and greatest is for running video editing software on a PC. After many hours of reading, reviewing and discussing various components with people I have now put a preliminary system together. My main aim is to run Vegas 8 on it however I would like to have the opportunity to do some gaming on it when I have the time. I would be grateful if anyone could spare the time to give any advice on this and any pointers:
    Processor – Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Quad Core Processor (2.4GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz)
    Quad Core seems highly recommended but any more than Q6600 (i.e. Quad Q6700, QX6850) seem expensive.
    Motherboard – ASUS P5K SE: DDR2, SATA II, PCI, 3x PCI-e x1
    The component that I least understand so would not mind any feedback on this?
    O/S – Windows Vista 32bit version – Home Premium Edition
    I am currently using XP but can only imagine that will become as used and supported as XP has – might as well upgrade now save the cost of upgrading later.
    (Although I have just come across another website that lets you customise your own PC and is selling ultimate for the same price as some are selling the Home Premium for).
    Memory – 2GB DDR2 667MHz (2x 1GB operating in dual channel mode)
    I have noticed that some systems are already customised with 3GB or some with 4GB or RAM. Although I see there is no benefit of having more than 2GB of RAM, are there any disadvantages to having over this?
    Optical Drives – 20x Dual Layer Light Scribe DVD Writer + 2nd optical drive – 16x DVD-ROM with 48x CD-ROM for easy DVD multiplication
    Hard Drive – 400GB Serial ATA II hard drive with 16MB cache. Currently I have a 160GB hard drive formatted into a main drive a backup drive and a recovery drive. Really looking for some advice hear? (I already have external 750GB hard drive’s for storing video). I have also been recommend to look at having hard drives work in RAID – but I am not sure that I am familiar enough with this to make the advantages out way the disadvantages?
    I have also been recommened to look at WD RAPTOR drives which I have done and am considering a 36GB (or 74GB) WD Raptor drive SATA 16MB cache (1000rpm)
    Graphics Card – 512MB NVIDA 8800GT PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
    Higher cards (880 GTX, ULTRA seem very pricey?
    Sound Card - 8 Channel Realtek ALC883 High Definition Audio (P5K-SE)
    Onboard 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
    Floppy Disk Drive - 1.44MB - 3.5
    Memory Card - Internal 52 in 1 Card Reader
    Power Supply – 800W Quiet Quad Raid PSU + 120mm Case Fan
    Processor Cooling – Super Quiet 19 dBA Intel CPU Cooler
    USB Options – 8x USB 2.0 ports (6 rear + 2 front USB)
    3 Port Firewire (IEEE1394) PCI Card
    Monitor – 22” LG Widescreen (HDCP/DVI/2MS/1680x1050) Possibility of a second monitor)? Does anyone know of a cheap supplier for quality monitors?

At the moment all footage is carptured in DV and the raw footage is stored on 750GB hard drives while it is being edited on computer. Although I am not in a position to build my own system I have been looking at suppliers that allow you to custom the components as I have listed above.

As I said I am pretty much playing catch up in the world of hardware as I have not had any such responsibility or desire to take an interest in hardware until now.

Grateful for any comments or feedback

Many Thanks

Nick

There are absolutely no disadvantages in having 4GB of RAM, it'll only make your pc more future-proof. However, I would suggest some faster RAM, 800MHz RAM would turn up the performance a bit more.

There's also nothing wrong with the videocard you're picking, you'll get 'much bang for the buck' with that one.

Motherboard's fine as well, not sure if it supports RAID, but it most likely will.

I know that with two identical harddrives in RAID 0, in any case, harddrive things will go about twice as fast, because two harddisks will be doing the work that is normally done by just one. However, this also means you will only have the amount of space of just one harddisk to use. So for example if you buy 2x200GB and put it in RAID 0, you will have 200GB running 'twice as fast'.

And I think Dual-Core instead of Quad-Core is fine as well, several programs still even don't support dual-core let alone quad-core.

Hope this helps.

I have a similar setup as you are looking for and it works fine for V8 and V7, preview is a lot better. Render times are fast on SD, almost 4 time real speed, check the Sony forums on more info and some specs they are using,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snaak View Post
    I know that with two identical harddrives in RAID 0, in any case, harddrive things will go about twice as fast, because two harddisks will be doing the work that is normally done by just one. However, this also means you will only have the amount of space of just one harddisk to use. So for example if you buy 2x200GB and put it in RAID 0, you will have 200GB running 'twice as fast'.
    Sorry, Snaak, you're mistaken here. Confusing RAID 0 (striping) with RAID 1 (mirroring)

With RAID 0 data is written ONCE across two (or more) disks so 2 x 200GB disks still gives you 400GB
    Advantages
    - faster reads and writes
    Disadvantages
    - one disk dies - you lose the data on ALL disks in the RAID
    - RAID controller blows (or rendered redundant because of other mobo failure) you'll need to get an identical controller to access the data.

With RAID 1, the SAME data is written to two disks
    Advantages
    - one disk dies, the data is still intact on the other
    - read speed is greater than single disk
    Disadvantages
    - 2 x 200GB disks gives you only 200GB
    -SLOWER to write than a single disk
    Tim

Blog Entries

Use separate hard disks for system/programs and data.
    These should be separate hard drives. A partitioned hard drive does NOT give you any performance advantage over a single drive as the disk can still only position the heads in one place at one time, transfer one lot of data at one time etc etc.

I realise you've got external HD for your data at present, but I'd be inclined to copy it onto an internal disk or RAID array (see other post) and back up onto external.

I use a RAID 0 array for my data drive (ie captures, media etc) but I'm not entirely convinced there's a significant advantage. Never got round to running real world tests though. Far too busy editing and reading this forum
    Tim

Thanks for the heads up It seems I was indeed confusing both.

Tim or Cheemie? Are you running 4gb RAM with QUADs? Is XP Pro or the graphics choking on it?

Grazie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Tim or Cheemie? Are you running 4gb RAM with QUADs? Is XP Pro or the graphics choking on it?

Grazie
    No such joy here. A mere E6600 Core 2 Duo and 2GB 800MHz (though I was pretty pleased back in Feb when I built it)
    Tim

the thing here is the computer itself is fine. Everything except for the ram make sure it does not have a cas latency any higher than 2
    over two slows the memory and response form the memory.

Also Vista itself is an unstable operating system and is known to have manyt faults. I suggest xp media center edition its more dependable.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your interest and your comments. I am pleased and encouraged that all my reading and listening has paid off some what and I am on the right tracks. I have a few points that may have been bought up as above.

1) Thanks snaak for your info and it seems as their is no disadvantage in having 4GB this might be the way to go now. As O/S do not currently support this much RAM (well 32 bit systems) I would go for 3GB however the website where I have customised this from does not allow you to configure with 3GB (just 2 or 4GB). I think that having 4GB would make the system more future proof for future developments - as you say their are no disadvantages. Yeah god spot with the RAM though snaak, I have up'd this to 800MHz.

2) From what the general feeling is I don’t think that I will have a RAID config on my system just because I can’t see the advantages outweighing the drawbacks FOR ME.

3) Good suggestion from Tim, thanks. I was planning to possibly have 3 hard disks. One for video storage (400GB or 500GB). Two for programmes and general. Three 74 or 150GB WD RAPTOR possibly for O/S or Sony Vegas.

4)I was thinking about staying XP but further down the road when the time comes (and I suppose it will) Vista will be as widely supported as XP is. Another reason I chose Vista is I would like to try some gaming (when and if I have the time) on this computer and I have read and heard that DX10 is not going to support XP? Still debating long and hard about the O/S? Can anyone give any personal experiences of Vista with Sony Vegas 8?

Thanks again for all interest and help in this!

Regards

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast