Thread: The perfect skateboarding camcorder

Question The perfect skateboarding camcorder

hello
    i am looking to buy a new camcorder for christmas,
    i need to use it for the filming of skateboard tricks.
    i have been looking at the JVC GZ-MG130
    there are alot of mixed reveiws on this camcorder and im somewhat confused about the compatability with editing software.

can anyone recomend a camcorder that is in my price range (250) that would be perfect for skateboard filming?

thanks alot

Will

Is that JVC a hard disk model? If it is then I wouldn't recommend it as you say it has problems when it comes to editing. If you intend to do editing and don't wish to end up on medication or in a psychiatric hospital then go for a Mini DV camcorder instead.

They are much easier to use when it comes to editing unlike hard disk and DVD camcorders. They also have better picture quality from the word go, whereas HD camcorders use a form of mpeg, which is much more compressed than the DV format; mpeg is really only for DVD's at the end of the process and not at the start.

Look on Jessops' website or even Argos as they have a number of Mini DV camcorders in your budget range. Don't spend all of your 250 on the camcorder, leave enough for a Firewire cable and possibly a PCI Firewire card if your computer doesn't have this connection already.

right
    thanks alot
    do i need a fire wire card or can i not just use a usb cable if it comes with the camera?

Always use Firewire if you have the option. A Firewire cable will set you back about 10 to 15 pounds depending on length and a PCI Firewire card (which will give you 3 new Firewire sockets) will cost about 20 pounds. Just check your computer first to see if you have a Firewire socket already, and if you do, then you've saved yourself some money.

If you don't, you will need to take the side panel off the computer to see if you have an empty PCI slot inside. Hopefully you should have at least one, and this is where the PCI Firewire card goes. A small metal plate will also have to be removed to allow the Firewire sockets to stick out the back panel on the computer.

i just have a question what does a firewire socket look like??

A bit like a USB socket but instead of it being flat all the way round, it has one rounded end instead.