Thread: Audio missing a channel - HELP!!

Default Audio missing a channel - HELP!!

I have some footage on a DVM60-ME minidv that only seems to have audio on one side only - the vision is fine - there are no glitches to be seen or heard its just audio is only dumping down in one channel.......

I've checked the camera - other tapes are fine
    I've checked the connection chords - 3 different types all the same prob
    I've put it through 2 computers - still only one channel of audio

I tried to extract the audio from the avi file and my old version of "audition" wouldn't work with it.

HELP - I need this footage now and I need the audio to be L/R

Any ideas? any software suggestions?

PLease help
    cheers
    tiffytoff

Blog Entries

I would guess it has been recorded wiith only one channel of sound - did you shoot the clips ?

Sorry mate - I didn't shoot the film - I hired a camera man for the job a few years back. If this was shot on one audio channel then how do I dump it down so I get a left and right feed?

Any suggestions
    Cheers
    tiffytoff

Sounds like it was shot on a camcorder with a mono mic? You will be unable (correct me if I'm wrong) to create a true stereo soundstage using this method but at least it will give you audio on both channels rather than just one. Do you have access to Adobe Premiere Pro? If you do, then you need to click on the audio track in the timeline to highlight it, then in Audio Effects->Stereo->depending on which audio track is available to you, click on either Fill Left or Fill Right and drag and drop the effect onto your audio track on the timeline. Play the clip back and see if you are getting both left and right audio on the audio meter.

Thanks for your reply

I don't have Adobe Premier Pro - I am a simple Windows Movie Maker user - I think I have a ulead program somewhere and I use Adobe Audition for all my audio editing but audition seems to be extracting my audio at half speed and not very cleanly either - I was going to duplicate the audio on to the other channel but audition wont even let me do that properly.

I was hoping there might be some type of software that I could capture the footage in mono up front so I wouldn't need to muck around with sinc problems - I am tring to avoid that seeing as though Windows movie maker is a little "dodgy" with audio sinc capabilities.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    tiffytoff

I thought Adobe Audition could sort out all audio problems, unfortunately I don't use it myself, but I thought there was the same filters and effects in it as there is in Adobe Premiere Pro? Now, here's a shot in the dark... AUDACITY, I think that's how you spell it, it's a free downloadable audio editor, try Googling that and it just might allow you to import the audio and duplicate it (no guarantees though).

7. Default

Hey,

I second Audacity if you dont have Soundforge. Its free and im sure it will duplicate the mono track to create a stereo.

Good luck!