Thread: some problems

Default some problems

First off I'm a new member and new to video editing. I've used other adobe software such as photoshop and dreamweaver, but not premier pro.

So, I just got it now and wanted to fiddle with it. It seems windows can pickup my cam though adobe premiere pro doesn't...

If I want to choose a movie, I have to import it from the file tab. Also, my movies on the cam are in .mov format, does this cause an issues for editing? I didn't see any timeline or much options to do anything with the movie when I imported it.

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks.

How have you connected your camcorder (I take it that you are using a camcorder and not a digital camera?) to your computer? Is it using a Firewire cable or USB connection?

well my Windows XP detects it as soon as I turn the camera on.

I'm using a USB cable.

BTW, couldn't I just just the import button and get the movie that way? because I tried it, but I couldn't get it to show on the timeline at all... and the file is a .mov

Stop using the USB cable and start using a Firewire cable instead to see if that improves things.

I don't think my Pentax camera comes with a firewire cable.. I got a usb, audio/video and I believe that is it....

So I can't import the mov file from the camera? because I did and it showed the video, but I couldn't seem to use the timeline... not sure why?

The camera when connected to the computer is effectively just acting as a mass storage device (just like a disk drive in fact)

I don't think premier is geared up to directly grab video from a mass storage device, - the import from camcorder option is expecting a video stream via firewire, I believe. you will need to use the import media from files and folders option. If premier still struggles, copy the .mov file over to your hard drive and import it from there.

Hope this helps

Premiere can't import video from a stills camera, do as the previous reply suggests and see if you can bring in your video file that way. Is it a standard video file size in terms of dimensions, 720 x 576 or 720 x 480 or does it record video in 640 x 480?

As I mentioned.. Premier imports the mov file if I do it manually via. File--> Import.

However when I load it.. it plays fine and I can zoom and slow it down etc... But I can't seem to get it into the timeline, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong...

Maybe someone has a small demo video file I can test ?