Thread: Vegas or Media Studio

Default Vegas or Media Studio

Hello All,

I'm looking to get a better editing program and want to see what the general consensus is.

At the moment I'm using Video studio 11 plus (well my pc is not playing fair at the minute so I should say was using). I thought it best to start with something straight foward and concentrate on the basics rather than try to be all flashy. I've got to the point now were I can edit something together which doesn't look like it's been done by a four year old and I'm starting to feel video studios limitations, particulary with the video filters and chroma key.

Am I best sticking with the ulead product or is the transition to vegas straight foward?

Cheers

Nick

Blog Entries

I suspect you be happier with the full product if you can afford it.

I am unfamiliar with the lite vesion, but I came to vegas 'cold' and found it easy to get to grips with, well, not that easy, but ok.

i am thinking the same thing (what is the cheaper Vegas like) is it complicated??

Thanks thats much aprrecaited. I'll have a look for a trial version of vegas and give it a try.

Blog Entries

The only thing simpler about Movie Studio is there's a button which takes you into DVD Architect Sudio, whereas with Pro you have to open it separately!
    (OK, not quite, but that example is mean to indicate that the learning curve is the same)
    In my opinion, Movie Studio has everything that you need from Pro for 97% of what you're likely to do.
    If you're unsure after the trial, buy MS, the hit to upgrade to Pro isn't that much greater than buying pro in the first place.
    Tim

Thanks Tim.

I've been looking at the costs of buying and it makes sense to buy from the states, the exchange rate means you can get it for about 150. Does anyone know if there are any region compatabilty problems with buying from over the pond? Will it allow me to edit in pal?

"Will it allow me to edit in pal? "

YES! - I/we/all of us who use it to edit in PAL - er . . edit in PAL!

Personal Experience of Vegas<>PAL: Whenever I have had a VEGAS family product, including VMS and Vegas Plat, and now VegasPro8, it has always ALWAYS come setup as NTSC. You just have to set it up for PAL. 2 clicks and you are done! And there is also an option to ensure that ALL future projects are setup for PAL. Don't take my word for it, download the demo and try it out.

A reality check: Anyways, think about it for 3 seconds, why on Earth would a software development company whose product, by definition, would HAVE to be international, make it USA-centric? It would NOT make sense at all?

Grazie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick1346 View Post
    Thanks Tim.

I've been looking at the costs of buying and it makes sense to buy from the states, the exchange rate means you can get it for about 150. Does anyone know if there are any region compatabilty problems with buying from over the pond? Will it allow me to edit in pal?
    I did exactly that. Works fine. Don't forget to baudget for 17.5% VAT which you WILL be billed for separately (by UPS or FED EX IIRC)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    why on Earth would a software development company whose product, by definition, would HAVE to be international, make it USA-centric? It would NOT make sense at all?
    You might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
    Tim

Excellent! Many thanks. I've downloaded the trial and will spend the next month shouting at my pc no doubt! But then a bad workman always blames.

Thought I'd better check if there was only one region version, unlike dvds and console games.

Here I go!