Thread: Video Problems in Vegas

Default Video Problems in Vegas

I read a lot of posts that seem to have the same problem as me, but none of the solutions have worked yet.

I am using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0b.
    My videos come from many sources, friends, downloaded raws, ripped dvds, but I'm having problems specifically with .AVI files. Vegas is only able to understand the audio, it says "Video: stream attributes could not be determined. So am unable to edited the video.

The videos will play in windows media, and I am able to edit them if I use Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Premier. I don't care for either of these programs which is why I wanted to try Vegas. I made sure the "ignore 3rd party codecs" box was uncheck in the prefences.

I got GSPot to check the codec, which said the video used Codec: WMV3 Name: WMP v9(VC-1 Simple/main) Status: Codecs are installed. But on the chance that I needed something else, I tried several of the different codec packs that were suggested in other threads(K Lite & several motionJPEG), but with them my videos wouldn't play as smoothly in my video players (along with not working with Vegas) so I went back to using Combined Community Codec Pack.
    I've tried different DV codecs, including Panasonic, which also did not work. I followed the FAQ which didn't help either. I tried VirtualDub also. I really don't want to have to convert all my files, not only do I not want to lose quailty, but there are also over 100 of them. If there is ANYTHING you guys could suggest to help I would be so grateful!

And here's a screen of what it looks like when I tried to load one of my .AVI files...

Do a search this has been covered in many other posts, it normally down to Codecs.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Do a search this has been covered in many other posts, it normally down to Codecs.
    Quote Originally Posted by poison.apples View Post
    I read a lot of posts that seem to have the same problem as me, but none of the solutions have worked yet.

I got GSPot to check the codec, which said the video used Codec: WMV3 Name: WMP v9(VC-1 Simple/main) Status: Codecs are installed. But on the chance that I needed something else, I tried several of the different codec packs that were suggested in other threads(K Lite & several motionJPEG), but with them my videos wouldn't play as smoothly in my video players (along with not working with Vegas) so I went back to using Combined Community Codec Pack.
    I've tried different DV codecs, including Panasonic, which also did not work.
    I've tried many different codecs, and made sure I had the right ones installed with GSpot, none of which has worked. Maybe I'm missing something silly? I'm not sure. I just know I spent atleast 8 hours just yesterday try to play with it, and trying different solutions I found here, with no success. If anyone can help, or if it does come down to codecs if anyone can suggest one I could try I would be so grateful!

PA? - On further scrutiny of your clips in Project Media window ALL your files - allegedly WM9 files, have an extension of some spurious set of numbers within SQUARE brackets? What's all that about?

For example you have something like:

[133-t raws] Toukyou_Majn_Gakuken . . . . . (640x360_WMV9) . [F440 . . . ]

Meaning, that your EXTENSION is truly very odd indeed!!! You might wanna copying just ONE of those files and renaming with something that I or you might recognize? Try renaming file to:

My_test_Windows9_File .WMP

Let's try that? Yeah? But do it to a copy!!!

I have absolutely no idea just why you have brackets and numbers as an extension? No wonder Vegas is having a fit!

Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Try renaming file to:

My_test_Windows9_File .WMP
    No go, it didn't work, I still got the same problem. Said "Video: Stream attributes could not be determined."

I was looking around at another forum who suggested using AviSynth to change some script. I tried it, but it only worked with like 1 out of 4 files (kept getting errors) that I tried it on. But then when I tried to use the newly scripted file in the Vegas (like the instructions said) it was unable to read the file at all. Does anyone have any exprience with AviSynth, or maybe could suggest something else?

I'm also having problems with WMV3 codec