Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sony Handycam Digital 8

  1. #1

    Default Sony Handycam Digital 8

    Hey,

    I bought a Sony DCR-TRV355E some years ago and it had a problem recording. I fixed it some days ago and I wanted to know if it's any possible to transfer video data from a Digital Recording 8mm Videocassette to the computer to edit, and then record it to a dvd.

    Thank you very much

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Western Europe
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Check to see if it has a Firewire socket (preferred method of transfer) and if you have a Firewire socket on your computer you will be set up. You'll need a Firewire cable and something better than Windows Movie Maker as it doesn't allow you to make DVD's.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Check to see if it has a Firewire socket (preferred method of transfer) and if you have a Firewire socket on your computer you will be set up. You'll need a Firewire cable and something better than Windows Movie Maker as it doesn't allow you to make DVD's.
    It has a USB cable and socket. The cam has a memorycard. If I connect it to the computer it only shows me the memory card content. The other sockets are S Video, Audio/Video, DV, USB, and the charger's. Maybe its the DV socket?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    28

    Default

    And if it (your camera) doesn't have the firewire or USB connections it will most likely have RCA or similar outputs for watching on TV directly from the camera. If that is the case you will need a capture device and the software that comes with it. I bought a Pinnacle capture card, PCI, for around $30 that came with Studio software. It does well for me and I have captured through it from VCR's, an 8mm Sharp Handycam, and my cable box which is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer DVR. I'm very pleased with its capture quality and ease of use.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_money View Post
    And if it (your camera) doesn't have the firewire or USB connections it will most likely have RCA or similar outputs for watching on TV directly from the camera. If that is the case you will need a capture device and the software that comes with it. I bought a Pinnacle capture card, PCI, for around $30 that came with Studio software. It does well for me and I have captured through it from VCR's, an 8mm Sharp Handycam, and my cable box which is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer DVR. I'm very pleased with its capture quality and ease of use.
    it has usb, but when i plug the cam to the computer, it only recognizes the memory stick. I lost the cam software. do you know if there is any software that allows me to transfer the 8mm video to the computer?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Western Europe
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    In your list of sockets you list DV, well that is Firewire. Never use USB unless it is a last resort and as you say it only shows the contents of the memory card and not what is on the tape. Now that you have DV, you need to purchase a Firewire cable with a 4 pin socket on one end and a 6 pin socket on the other end.

    The 4 pin goes into the camcorder and if you have a DV (Firewire) socket on your computer you are set up. If you don't then you can use a spare PCI connector inside the computer and purchase a PCI Firewire card and insert it into the spare connector. You'll need to remove a small metal plate on the back of the computer so you can access the new sockets and plug the cable in.

    Using RCA analogue sockets defeats the purpose of having a digital camcorder, again like USB only use them if nothing else is available.

    If you are looking for new software, you can download 30 day trial versions of most of the software used on this forum. Just visit their individual websites and look for a download link. Try out a few of them and see which one you like best before parting with money.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 11-24-2007 at 05:25 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    In your list of sockets you list DV, well that is Firewire. Never use USB unless it is a last resort and as you say it only shows the contents of the memory card and not what is on the tape. Now that you have DV, you need to purchase a Firewire cable with a 4 pin socket on one end and a 6 pin socket on the other end.

    The 4 pin goes into the camcorder and if you have a DV (Firewire) socket on your computer you are set up. If you don't then you can use a spare PCI connector inside the computer and purchase a PCI Firewire card and insert it into the spare connector. You'll need to remove a small metal plate on the back of the computer so you can access the new sockets and plug the cable in.

    Using RCA analogue sockets defeats the purpose of having a digital camcorder, again like USB only use them if nothing else is available.

    If you are looking for new software, you can download 30 day trial versions of most of the software used on this forum. Just visit their individual websites and look for a download link. Try out a few of them and see which one you like best before parting with money.
    Thank you very much =)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Western Europe
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Do come back and let us know how you got on.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Do come back and let us know how you got on.

    I just have another question: do i need any software to make the transfer?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Western Europe
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    You can do your capture and editing from Windows Movie Maker,but I see you wish to make DVD's aswell. This is where Windows Movie Maker falls down, as it doesn't allow you do make DVD's, well not in a straightforward way. You need to purchase an all in one editor like Adobe Premiere Elements 4, which will do the capturing, editing and making DVD's all under the one roof, the preferred method (imho) rather than going from one piece of software to another. Download some 30 day trial versions and see how you get on.

Similar Threads

  1. Sony Handycam DVD HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By Phil in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
  2. Sony Handycam
    By spike morton in forum Blu Ray, DVD, SVCD and VCD authoring
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 09:42 PM
  3. New Sony Handycam!!
    By Gillygems in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 07:32 PM
  4. Sony Handycam
    By chrisb in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2005, 08:10 PM
  5. Sony Handycam
    By Marc Peters in forum User Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 11:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •