Thread: SVCD on a DVD

Default SVCD on a DVD

I'm wanting to create an SVCD on a DVD via Pinnacle 8. When I choose "create disk" and then SVCD it will only let me choose my CD-RW drive and not the DVD-RW drive. The option to create files but not burn is also greyed out.

I was thinking of going through the create disk process with no CD in the drive and then cancelling the operation when it asks for one. The MPEG files should still be on the hard drive, and I could burn through Nero. I'm assuming that Pinnacle will create an MPEG file for each chapter??

Is there any other way round this?

Thanks

AL

I suppose I'm missing something, but I'm not at all clear why you would want to make an SVCD if you can make a DVD.

However, if you want to have the MPEG file on your hard drive and use Nero to Burn onto DVD, why not use the make MPEG facility. It has an SVCD option.

I have no idea though about chapters. I guess you'd have to try it and see what happens.
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

Because I want to capture from video tape, so the video would not be DVD quality to start with. Also I could fit approx 5 hours of SVCD quality video on a DVD as opposed to 2 hours of DVD quality video.

OK, I see the point about how much you can get on one disc.

My suggestion as to creating an SVCD MPEG on your hard disk via the 'make MPEG' option still applies.

I am not familiar with capturing analogue, but are you editing the film in avi format? If so, Pinnacle will reduce quality again to make an MPEG file. If you captured in an MPEG format, I have a feeling quality will have been lost there already anyway, so the fact that you are starting with a lower quality product does not mean you should work in or output to one, you could just duplicate the loss.

In order to preserve what you've got, I'd work and save in the highest quality I could.

If anybody has any better ideas, or knows more about it, feel free to jump in

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.