Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can hardrive camcorder footage be easily dropped into video editing software???

Default can hardrive camcorder footage be easily dropped into video editing software???

Hi,
    Can Anyone advise me on the best hardrive camcorder to buy? The reason I ask is that I am looking to save from buying mini dv tapes, and even though I always have a new tape and never re-use when filming, the tapes are still easy damaged even if I play back the footage and capture different parts ( I am talking over years of course).

The reason I ask this is I have tried a harddrive camcorder at work and it saves the video files as a format that adobe premiere doesnt regonise. I then have to encode the video clips so that they can be imported into adobe premiere. But to me althought the thought of never using tapes is the selling point for me, It isnt cutting out time in capturing as I have to encode the clips first, so it saving anytime. Is this just a bog standard camera or is there people on here that use a hardrive camcorder that they can just drop the clip into premiere and they are away editing?

I have been to jessops and people like that and they advised me that the footage can be inmported into editing software, but I dont want to take the chance until I am sure.

Anyone offer me some help?

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice

It's all down to your software's compatibility.

As an example, iMovie and Final cut Express/Pro can all handle HD camera footage easily.

The only thing that would concern me is the quality of the encoding on the camera.

Hi,
    Well I'm using adobe premiere elements to edit films and the camera I tested didnt import the footage too easily. Maybe the technology is still too new and it hasnt caught up yet, as the file format that the camera saves the video as isnt video files I have come across using mini dv. And yes the encoding has me wondering too, no good if you have to do all that only to find that the picture quality isnt as good.

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice

The footage is already encoded once on the camcorder to a high level and now you will have to encode it a second time and (try) to import it into APE. That means the quality will be lower than expected and you will have to work hard to get it into APE. The results are very unpredictable ranging from no video or audio playing back in the timeline, to jumpy video, to just the audio track playing back itself. I'm just repeating what other forum members have reported over the past six months on their attempts at doing the same. The general consensus is that HDD camcorders are only for point, shoot and playback on a tv again, editing comes last on its list of priorities.

Hi Nikosony, thanks for the info, I half expected that these hard drive camcorders where for people who didnt want to edit them much. I think I will wait for the technology to catch up when they make these type of cameras for the people like me, wo like to spend time editing footage too.

Thanks again

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice

I don't know what age you are, but if your hair isn't grey already, it may well be by the time they get that sorted out. Would you not be tempted to dive into Mini DV for the time being at least?

Hi Director,

In February of this year I purchased a JVC GZ MG-505. This camera Has a 30 gig hard drive, 3ccd imaging system, records directly in mpeg-2, has an additional sd card slot, and required absolutely no further encoding, or rendering to load into Adobe Premier Elements 3.0. I took this camera to Hawaii for two weeks on my vacation/wedding, shot between 10-11 hours of raw footage and took roughly 1200 still shots with it as well. Just this week I have finished cutting a 1 hr DVD with soundtrack, sound effects, transitions, text, credits, the works! So I feel that, though I am not an expert cameraman, nor an expert video editor, after working with this camera and software intensively for 7 months now, I have enough experience with this particular camera to speak towards your interest in HD vids, and Adobe Premier Elements software. I'll give you my no holds barred personal review of both the pros and cons that I have found with this camera.

Ok, first the good

The 3ccd. The colors in both video and stills are brilliant, crisp, and very true to life, especially if shot during the daylight hours. See low light disclaimer below on this subject.

30 gig Hard drive. This camera has four different video quality settings, Economy, Normal, Fine, and Ultrafine. At the Economy setting (the equivalent of VHS) you can shoot almost 38 hours of video, Normal gives you 14 hours, Fine gives you almost 11 hours, and Ultrafine gives you just over 7 hours of DVD (mpeg-2) quality footage. Now if you consider that much of what you shoot is in blocks of seconds or minutes, that is a huge amount of space, plus, this camera hooks up to a computer with a USB 2.0 connection, self recognizes in XP, and appears as an additional removable drive so if you carry a laptop, your actual storage is confined only by the size of that HD as you can literally drag and drop right into folders in windows.

Size. This camera will fit in the palm of your hand with convenient placement of the zoom and start/stop buttons.

2.7" LCD screen. Though this is not a touch screen like The Sony HDR-SR1, it is very clear and easy to see what you are shooting. Besides, it seems to me that a touch panel LCD screen, after so much use will develop scratches and wear spots from finger nails, dirty fingers etc.

User Friendly. The menus and settings are not too complex like, say a Panasonic AG-HVX200, yet in depth enough for someone who wants more than just a point and shoot. I learned a little bit, not a PHD, about shutter speeds, lighting requirements, etc. from using this camera.

Connections. The ports for downloading, S-video, AC, and external mic are easily accessible. 1 exception to this would be the location of the external mic port is on the front, directly below the lens, which makes for a tight fit of a 3.5 mm jack since the port cover does not remove completely from the camera so it is similar to trying to get the gas pump into a car with a tethered gas cap. (I hope thats a good analogy).

Works with Adobe PE 3.0, Studio 9.x or higher, Sony Vegas (quite expensive) seamlessly. While making my video, the video files loaded with no glitches, crashes, or any need for further encoding, or rendering. You can load as either WMV. (windows media files) or MOD. (I think this is Quicktime). I used the WMV files just out of preference. One thing to consider, and I cant remeber if it cost me anything, if so it was only around $10, but I think I had to go to Adobe's site to get the mpeg-2 unlock/upgrade, in order to use the mpeg vid files.

16:9 widescreen. If you desire this camera will record video in native 16:9 widescreen. Do not confuse this with High Def, it does not record in 1080 p or i, those are different cameras altogether.

Drop Detection. Since this camera records to a hard drive which spins as a "needle" hovers above it recording info, it has a feature that automatically stops recording if it senses a shock or jolt at a certain level. This is nice to have but comes with a disclaimer below as well.

Battery and HD use meters. You can see exactly (to the minute) how much space on the HD you have used and how much you have left, and the same for the battery. You will know when you are down to your very last minute of power and not have to sit and wonder "Hmmmmmm my battery level is yellow, do I have the time to finish this shot?"

Now the bad.

Low light shooting. While at the Polynesian Cultural Center, I taped an evening show. Most colors looked good except for the red hues. When the performers, the lighting, or the background were predominantly red or reddish in tint, the color tended to bleed, blur, wash out, however you refer to it. Basically it seemed to give the entire shot a reddish tint or hue. Still shots in low light settings must be done from a tripod, without any movement at all and plenty of lighting or appropriate flash. Bottom line is, to me at least, the low light performance of this camera could be better.

DIS. Digital Image Stabilization left a lot to be desired. I have taken pictures and shot video with a Sharp 8mm Handycam (The one with the nice 4 1/2 to 5 inch lcd screen) that had better image stabilization. Especially on zoomed shots, you will definitely notice if you are shooting from a moving vehicle, walking while shooting etc. I was disappointed in the DIS with this camera but was able to adapt to it.

Battery. The battery that comes with the camera is a 50 minute battery. Thats if you are lucky, don't zoom in and out frequently, don't use flash often, basically don't do anything but snap stills and shoot straight video. I highly recommend getting a larger battery at the same time you purchase this camera. I added an Energizer ER-C720 Li Ion 3300 mAH battery which lasts me over 3 hours of extensive shoot time. The downside to this is that this particular battery and any other of similar or larger size is going to be about the 25% of the camera size and adds about 10 oz. or more to the overall weight. Now 10 oz may not seem like much but at the end of a 10 hour day of lifting your arm to get a shot, lowering it, lifting it, moving left or right to follow action, etc., you will definitely know that arm got a work out. The only nice thing I can say about the power source is that it charges directly through the camera with the AC plug/cord that is included with the camera, no extra charger bases or cords to carry along, although if you have the separate battery charging base (which I also bought) you can charge more than just 1 battery at a time.

Pixelation. I'm not sure if this is the proper term but basically what I mean by this is, sometimes, when I move the camera too quickly, tilt it, things like that, I get small areas of the footage that appear as groupings of tiny little checker squares that didn't completely record. The best way I can describe this is to watch a digital cable box on TV and sometimes when the signal level drops, or it is storming outside you will see interference in the picture that is not static but actually looks like a "checkerboard" effect. I noticed this in some clips that I shot. Most of the video was fine, 97% I'd say, but I did notice some shots that got that "pixelation" effect. Another description is to watch the "Random Checkerboard" transition in Adobe PE and you will understand what I am talking about.

Drop detection. I put this in the "good" section because it is a very nice feature and really is good for the overall protection and lifespan of the hard drive BUT.....I don't know if its just my particular camera that has an acute sensitivity to motion or if all are like this but, it is VERY sensitive and if the "Drop Detection" is triggered, you get a msg when you resume shooting that you must acknowledge before continuing which can be frustrating especially on spur of the moment shots you might miss because you have to say "OK", and if you were in the process of shooting a clip when the DD is triggered are stopped at that point and put into the EXTMOV folder instead of the original folder with all other footage and can easily be forgotten about, and at times may not play at all due to corruptions. So I have mine turned off to prevent that from happening, and I'm hoping I'm not damaging the HD bit by bit.

Thats about all I can think of right now, I may return and edit other features into the good or bad if they come to mind, but these are the main items I like/dislike. continued and finished in next post......

Overall I really like this camera. I would give it an 8 out of 10. It was perfect for my vacation, as well as for editing in Adobe PE. I am very happy with the video I have produced from it and have received many raves about the raw video quality, and the "professional" appearance of the finished DVD project. I have even had people ask me if I would do something similar for their weddings, but I have learned from experience what many have said in these forums about needing multiple professional quality cameras (still and video) and equipment from multiple angles and setups in order to make a quality production for someone else for pay. Mind you, the people who say the video looks professionally done are not videographers nor do they have the same "audio/visual creativity" that you or I or many of the others in this forum possess, so they don't have the capability to recognize "quality" video footage or editing. But I am particularly proud of my creation and now would like to save up and buy higher end equipment and actually give some professional paid gigs a shot.

I need to start learning how to compress and post my video like some of the other members do using either flash, or whatever format I can, that will preserve the video quality and resolution, because I think you should see the finished product that I have created and you will see firsthand if this camera will meet your needs, exceed them, or if you are looking for something more.

Wow this was a lonnggggggggggg post, I hope it helps with your decision making either way. Good luck!

Hi Nikosony,
    I am 26 and I have had mini dv tape for about 5 years now at least

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice

MO Money,
    Many thanks for your long detailed post, I am really grateful that you have taken the time to explain this too me. So in a nutshell even if I dont get the exact model as you, aslong as I make sure that the camera records videos in mpeg2 format, instead of this MOV that the camera I tested at work, I should be able to just upload and import into adobe premiere.

again thanks for your help, you have really made me look at this in a different way and its nice to know the makers of these cameras are thinking of the more professional users who want to edit there footage after the film process.

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast