Thread: file size always bigger after editing

Default file size always bigger after editing

No matter what program I use, the video file always tends to be bigger then the original after editing, something double or even triple the original. The quality on top of it, always seem to degrade somewhat.

I know it could be the codec and compression of the original file but is there a way to edit, without making the file so large and also keep the original quality of the video? The quality is more of an issue for me.

any tips on what I should do?

Maybe if you took the time to explain how you are capturing, what format, what capture settings, what s/w you are using to edit and how you are exporting and with what setting we might be able to help.

The video are captured and stored directly to a SD card. The format is MOV but I tried editing other videos and they're basically the same thing.(wmv, avi, etc...)
    When using Adobe Pre Pro, I have tried many different setting, from DV to HD and video files are always bigger. I have also tried Sony Vegas, Videostudio, and Cyberproducer

You are recording onto an SD card, is that 640 by 480? I have a strange feeling the SD card is the problem even though you say you are using .mov.

Actually, the videos I was editing are 720P taken on an aiptek A-HD. The videos seems to be highly compressed which appears to cause the increase in file size after editing, but I also attempted to edit videos from 640x480 format(also MOV format) and they seem to increase in size also. I doubt it has anything to do with the sd card. Again, primary I rather have video quality to be the same as original with a little increase in size is fine with me.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

I'll try to explain it. First, highly compressed video sacrifices quallty. It's the only way to get the file size down. More compression, more distortion, lower quality.

When editing from such files, the video is first totally decompressed, your edits applied and it still contains the original distortion. After editing, if you're saving the resulting video as the same sort of compressed file, it has to not only preserve the existing distortion, but also adds more distortion. Regretably, the distortion is at exactly the same places as the first compression's distortion and the compressor is going to have to give up file size to preserve that distortion.

The best way to preserve quality is to decompress to some much larger, less compressed (and less dstorting) format (DV is good, raw RGB is best - and largest file size), add a little bit of blur (to take the edge off the distorted spots), do the editing, and look at the results. If all looks good, recompress to the final desired format using two pass, variable bit rate settings that will give the file size you need. This should keep file size from blooming and save as much quality as possible.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

It goes over my head when you start tech talking compression method comparisons. I am not a Pro and can just share my personal experience as a duffer with this video stuff.

I know I have been given HIGHLY compressed movies (MPEG4 I think) on a single 700Meg CD that play in very clear and sharp almost HD quality - even on a 10 foot screen. Newer compression techniques seem to retain quality IF viewed using software/hardware that supports that compression type, or so it seems.

Who makes the VideoStudio software you mentioned? I think I'm correct in that your editing software really doesn't support whatever file format fand compression type from your memory card and so changes it (de-compresses and maybe changes type) to something that it does support like already posted by someone.

During playback of this video to a tv or monitor does it look clear and sharp with smooth motion? If it plays back on a normal screen or display in high visual quality than there should be software that will retain that digital quality during and after editing and rendering.

I agree with other poster and would probably open your file in editing software and render it as less compressed format like .avi (8 to 10Gig of HDD space per hour of video) BEFORE I tried to edit it. Once transcoded if it still looks clear and sharp and smooth then it should look about the same after editing. If it doesn't look as good then something is wrong - transcoding the original file to a different and less compressed video format shouldn't degrade quality. Again, that's my personal experience - I'm no techno video file guru and it shows.

Once edited then render to whatever format/size that fits your application so to upload to internet probably VCD or SVCD or for regular def DVD format render as MPEG2 and etc.

Okay, above is my personal and non-professional experience and if I'm out of wack I'm sure someone will offer a correction - sorry to rattle on so - hope it's helpful.
    GoodLuck