Thread: Can't import video that I exported from after effects 2 years ago

Exclamation Can't import video that I exported from after effects 2 years ago

Hi everyone, I am having a very frustrating problem most probably related to codecs. Two years ago I made a film in avi format - in DVCPAL PRO with dv video I captured from my sony handycam. I was using After Effects 6.5 as far as I remember and 32bit windows xp. It has been 2 years and now I got a new PC, 64bit and installed windows vista. I've got all the Cs3 adobes. My problem is: when I import this avi file, both in premiere and in after effects, the video is totally disoriented and it looks green. When I export, it is also the same. However, I can view the avi file in any other video viewing program like windows media or vlc player... I've tried a lot of different stuff but just can't get it to work. I attached a pic of what the video looks like when I import it:

Thanks

Tough to say, but what i know is that the export and import functions in AE are crap, you are better off just opening the files from the project window, that is double clicking on the project window area and looking for it on the menu that pops up, and then dragging it into the composition area. If you do it this way you are telling AE to find out what format and setting the file is and and THEN open it, rather than telling AE what format and settings you want to use and then bringing in a file and playing it, which is what import does.

Is that what you are doing or are you using the import export menu?
    Last edited by Alberto Fernandez; 11-22-2007 at 05:54 AM.

nope, both ways the same. Arrgh it is just so frustrating because I exported it in the same program and now after 2 years after effects is the only program - and premiere - that can't read it correctly! I also tried importing the video on my friends computer with OS win xp 32 bit and After effects cs3 - but again the same thing.