Thread: OS Leopard on PC? good idea or bad idea?

Smile OS Leopard on PC? good idea or bad idea?

Ive been editing for a year now and any edit I have done has been on Final Cut Pro. Ive always worked in an office and it just so happened that the editing-suite used a mac.

Now that I am working for myself, and have a little cash to invest, I would like to buy myself "The perfect video editing PC".

I have been doing lots of research about what to buy and have realised MacPro's are a bit over-priced for my liking and I believe I can get the equivalent of Macpro for cheaper if i just DIY.

Hack Attack: Build a Hackintosh Mac for Under $800
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I found this website very helpful, and I think I am going to do something similar, just maybe partition an 80gig SATA into two so I can run windows (I would like to start using premiere aswell.) and Leopard) Can you think of any issues I will encounter, as far as ive read there aren't many.

Here is the rig I would like to assemble.

Intel® Boxed Core2™Duo E6550 Processor - 2.33GHz Dual Core,

GIGABYTE® "S Series" iP35 & ICH9 Express Chipset - Socket LGA775 @ FSB1333 - For Pentium®, Pentium®D & Core™2 Duo 4x PCI Express Slots (1 x16 , 3 x1), 3x PCI, 4x DDR2-1066 (Dual), 4x SATA2, 1x ATA100, 10x USB 2.0, SPDIF Port, Realtek Gigabit LAN (LOTS OF HARDRIVE EXPANDABILITY)

Corsair® TwinX™ XMS2™ Matched Memory Pair - 2x 1GB Modules - DDR2-667 - 6-Layer, Heat Spreader, CL 4-4-4-12, Retail

Seagate® Barracuda™ 7200.10 Series - 500GB Serial ATA II (SATA2) Plus - Serial ATA 300 (3Gbps) With 32MB Cache @ 7200RPM

Gigabyte® NVIDIA® GeForce 8600GT, 512MB 128Bit GDDR2, Dual DVI, HDTV, DirectX10, OpenGL, Dual RAMDACS, SLI Ready, Silent Pipe II

It might be a bit gaming orientated, what do you guys think. overkill? Im thinking the graphics card might be a bit big.... and will this run leopard?

I would also like to edit HDV, I think that I pass with this set up right?
    Last edited by Mark W; 06-24-2008 at 04:19 PM.

2. Default

I cant honestly cant say because ive never tried this myself, but how will you be able to aquire the drivers??? and i could be totlay wrong but it just dosent sound like a good idea...

What you are suggesting is called a Dual Boot computer where you have a choice of booting into one OS or another after switching on. I tried running Win Vista and Win XP on the same PC (on separate hard disks) but it was like having the neighbours from hell living next door to one another. So I had to split them up and buy a second PC and now everything is peaceful. Just something you need to be aware of especially when trying to get a Windows operating system to work with something else.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a daft idea to me. But I am prejudiced against Macs, silly little cmputers for people who dont use computers, so take no notice of me.

5. Default

Have just installed VISTA onto my imac on a 32gb partition, very impressed at the installation it was a breeze, vista looks great on the 24' screen...?

I just press one button on boot up and select which os i want to use, Leopard for video, vista for tinternet (yes have installed avg

Glad to hear you got Vista running on an Imac (slightly ironic to say the least) and that it runs well with OS Leopard. Having used Vista on and off for over a year I'm not over impressed with it personally. That's why I spend about 75% of my time still using XP, I just find everything runs much more smoothly (hardware and software) under that OS compared to Vista.

Blog Entries

Same here - Vista os xp for people who should have got a mac !

If you want a decent guide and lots of pro help go here
    While these machines can run well, there are lots of bugs along the way, its not something I would use on any critical job until I had spent at least a month with the machine. Choosing the right hardware is important, personally I would spend a little more than $800.

P.S. Hi guys this was my first post by the way, I am REALLY new to video editing, so many newb questions await!