Thread: minimizing generational loss

Default minimizing generational loss

I'm using Premier Elements to watermark and edit videos for upload to a popular social networking site and I am having trouble getting the file sizes down far enough to upload and still have acceptable quality.

The worst offender in overall quality is that no matter how I choose to compress the original files they are being converted to .FLVs upon upload for playback in the social networking sites player.

Does using the same codec to originally compress the video after watermarking as the social networking site will use to re-encode it prevent any generational loss or artifacting? Or is there any particular codec that is responds better to being re-encoded into a .FLV?

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

1) Make the video dimensions the same size as the flv encoded output will be.
    2) Do not try to compress too much. If it's going to be recompressed anyway, why add the extra distortion? The flv output may actually end up smaller due to less distortion in the original. Compressors will try to preserve any distortion allready present, sacrificing file size and/or quality to do so.
    3) Make the frame rate about the same as the flv will end up. 15fps is fine for net video.
    4) If you simply must make the file small as possible, then scale the dimensions somewhat larger and add a little blur to it. This way the overall distortion will be less since the sharp edges are reduced. By the time it get resized by the FLV recompression, the edges will look good again.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

is there any tricks to minimizing compression using Premier Elements?

The files I'm working with have all already been compressed by their authors.
    Because I have no control over the format of the videos as I receive them and they come in various file types and sizes I've been converting them to .AVIs before watermarking them to increase the file size to try to keep the videos from compressing too much when I finally encode them with the watermark for upload, but I'm still ending up with file sizes roughly half the 100MB size limit for upload.

Is converting them to .AVIs even doing any thing?

I've tried bumping up the 'quality' slider and 'kbps/sec' settings to their highest settings and always choose 2 pass, is there any other adjustments I can make to minimize the final compression before uploading?

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Try asking this in the Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects section of this forum. I don't use it myself. But the fellows who do read that .
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70