Thread: Question about VCD rez

Default Question about VCD rez

Hi all, I have a question here. I got a few avi files (something i captured from my VCR for home use) and i want to convert them to VCD but i want the resolutions to stay the same (well atleast i dont want the image to change aspect ration). Right now the avi file has 480x360 resolution (which is like wide screen type of thing).

So what i can do to keep that image same aspect ration but in VCD format (mpeg-1)? Is this even possibly?

Its just i dont like the file ebing stretch and fill the full screen from top to bottom, it makes it look horrible

Thanks
    Dima
    Windows XP Pro SP2 RC2
    Windows Code Name Longhorn 4074
    AMD Athlon 2600+ (2.1GHz)
    512DDR RAM
    120 GB HDD = Maxtor (80GB) + Maxtor (40GB)
    Freecom DVD+RW Driver
    LG CD-RW Driver
    ATI 9200SE 128MB Graphics Card

Default Re: Question about VCD rez

Quote Originally Posted by Dima
    Right now the avi file has 480x360 resolution (which is like wide screen type of thing).
    Er, no it isn't. 480x360 is exactly in the ratio 4:3. The same as 'normal' TVs. Not considered widescreen at all.

Have you tried just dragging and dropping the AVIs into Nero to produce a VCD? What do you get?

Or... and some others claim they can't do this, also try just cutting the AVI files onto a data CD disk (rather than as a video CD) and put them in your DVD set top player. The last couple of set-top players I've bought are quite happy playing both JPG slideshows and AVI files from a standard data CD-R. Worth a try.

Well what you want to do is make a SVCD not VCD.
    VCD is just 320X240 Mpg. no more. But the SVCD is 480X480.
    So it will look more like VHS or dvd Quality. You have to convert it into
    a mpeg first. use tmpeg or sonic mydvd to do this. works great for me.
    And you can put like 3 SVCDs on one dvd, or 1/2 SVCD on 1 CD.
    I know what you mean though. VCD Quality blows Compaird to SVCD.

well the playing avi idea didnt work for my dvd player... you need a divx player for that

I got another file i want to convert to either SVCD or just VCD (forget KVCD i dont like the idea of converting something longer than 2hrs )
    The file's resolution is 640 by 272... and if i convert it to VCD it will give me 320x2** which will strech the video and make it look horrible :( But i can probably convert it to dvd mpeg right? which will be like 4+ GB But i dont mind if i cant get it to VCD

Thanks for all the help so far :P
    Windows XP Pro SP2 RC2
    512DDR RAM
    Freecom DVD+RW Driver
    LG CD-RW Driver

Problem solved!

Im just using TMPGenc 3.0 Xpress you can set the output either 16:4 or 4:3 and it actually does it not like TMPGEnc 2.5

Comes out great just how i wanted
    Windows XP Pro SP2 RC2
    512DDR RAM
    Freecom DVD+RW Driver
    LG CD-RW Driver

Blog Entries

Resolutions for the DVD standard (of which VCD is a part), are fixed. You can't change this. Essentially if you start messing around with funky resolutions, you're not meeting the DVD"white book" standard and you may find your Video disc doesn't play in a standalone.

The solution? Choose your output resolution. Lets say 352 x 288 for PAL VCD. You then make your video fit this "box". You don't have to loose any of the image as you just fill it with black bars. You can also crop these bars, but change the pixel aspect ratio so that on playback in 16:9 mode the pixels are stretched back out.

Blog Entries

Or, in your case, use TMPGenc Xpress