Thread: Help buying a HDD camcorder, any recommendations?

Default Help buying a HDD camcorder, any recommendations?

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody had any advice about which camcorder I should buy.

I'm looking for something to record "talking head" interviews to upload onto a website, so I'm guessing I don't need High Def. I need a mic input because I need the sound quality to be very good.

I like the sound of recording with a Hard Disk recorder because it would allow fast, easy transfer to my computer, but I guess I'll need to do a little basic editing (inserting title screens and transition screens), and I know a lot of people on here say to steer clear of HDD and use Mini DV if you need to do any editing, but I figure this shouldn't be too difficult.

I understand Camtasia is pretty good at importing mpeg's or avi's and converting to swf for uploading so I guess a camera that records in either of these formats would be best.

A main thing I want to avoid is having to convert the file more than once.

If anyone has any tips then they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I use a Hdr-Sr1 as a backup camera every once and a while and I like it, It was a pain in the ass at first because FCP didnt allow me to capture any of the footage until the update 6.01. But now its easy to log and transfer or if you shoot in SD mode it imports just normal mpeg and I just convert them to mov files using mpegstreamclip. (its free) My advice would be to just search google and forums for reviews for a few days and see which one works best with your workflow. I only bought mine because of the deal I got on it, (it was $300 and the listing price was 1100-1400 at the time.) Good luck on searchin.