Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Editing Program

Default Video Editing Program

Hi guys, i'm looking for a video editing program that does not require the Windows XP Service Pack 2. Does anyone know of one? I've tried Sony Vegas, and Adobe Premiere but they both require SP 2!

Thanks,
    Jimmy~

I guess the first, overwhelming, question I need to ask is - why? You really should have SP2 installed on your PC as it brought a whole host of improved security and stability.

Other than that, the only suggestion I have for you is to get a Mac because I'm pretty certain all the latest versions of editing packages will be written to work with SP2.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

I can't install SP2, my windows will crash and only boot in safe mode until its uninstalled. As for MAC, i'm a gamer so a MAC would be useless to me. (Compatibility Issues)
    I don't need a newer version either, it can be an older one. Just one that works besides Windows Movie Maker, it doesn't have any good professional looking effects.

Frankly, I think you should address the real issue here which is why you can't install SP2 and run it.

You should treat the cause of your problem and not a symptom

Its because i bought the PC out of the newspaper, and it has a pirated windows on it. I have a real XP disc now, but i have too much important stuff on here to just delete it all for new windows.

Obvious point No.2... why delete it? What about moving (I presume) your files off the hard disk and onto a portable HD, then reformat the computer HD and then install the legit version of Windows on it. Set the BIOS to boot from CD (instead of HD, save the new setting) after startup, press a key and the process is automatic with the odd yes and next and ok to click on. I take it you were not made aware of what was on that computer when you purchased it?

When i copy it to a seperate hard drive, will it copy the registry and everything? How would i do that?

Why would you want to copy your registry files? I'm talking about copying your own data files (that you've spent hours, days or weeks working on) and any files with a .exe, .zip or .rar suffix such as drivers onto a portable HD. It will save you a lot of time having to go back again and download them a second time. Then install the new version of Windows and while this is being installed the registry files will be copied across aswell and updated as in your case.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 11-18-2007 at 07:23 PM.

I'm sorry i don't know a lot about this technical computer stuff. The reason i wanted registry files was because i have many things installed that i need, but don't have the install files to re-install them. So when i install the new windows it would delete things from the registry that these programs need to run. (I was told to format my HDD before installing windows, as mine is pirated and could cause problems with the install)

In an earlier reply, you refer to having 'a real XP disc now', does this mean you have a legit version of the operating system or is it just Service Pack 2? If it is just Service Pack 2 you have, then this is just an upgrade from Service Pack 1 and not an operating system. It just contains fixes for problems Service Pack 1 didn't cover. Yes, it will also have updates for a lot of the files you already have on your computer (it won't overwrite any of your personal files) and it will just overwrite them with a more up to date version. Again, if it is Service Pack 2, you just put the disc in and it should autorun, whether you want to do this is entirely up to you, none of us can make your mind up for you.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 11-18-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast