Thread: Would like to start recording a music lesson video

Smile Would like to start recording a music lesson video

I am a total video newbie here.

Hopefully I am in the right "forum"...If not please re-direct me to the right one.

I would like to build a guitar lesson video website.

What type of video equipment do I need?
    I have a camcorder and a small studio (very small). And Musicians with tons of musical and offline lesson giving experience.

If someone could give me more information I would be very grateful.

Paul Guzman

How much experience do you have making videos? If your videos are only for the web, then you don't need that much equipment and it doesn't have to be the latest. A standard Mini DV camcorder, with an external mic socket (better quality than the built in mic), it would also allow you to mic up the guitar and the person playing it, if they intend doing a commentary with lapel mics are run both into a plug with two 3.5mm inputs. It would have just one output and this would go into the ext. mic socket. A tripod and two lights (a key light and fill light), one placed on either side of the person playing the guitar would also be useful.

How much of a budget do you have or can you borrow equipment for the shoots? As far as computer hardware/software is concerned, any reasonably up to date PC or MAC would do as long as it has a Firewire socket on it to allow you to connect the camcorder. If you are using an IBM PC clone with Windows operating system, then you will have some version of Windows Movie Maker on it, and this will do all you need for your capturing, editing and making videos for the web, it's also free. You would need to check with the website you are planning on uploading the videos to as to what size the videos can be in terms of Megabytes, their physical dimensions (width by height) and what file formats you can use.

Default Thanks for the Response

Love it when I ask a question at a forum and it gets answerd promptly and professionaly.

Budget is low (isn't everyones)?
    Still got a few questions?

Is the firewall socket a USB port or do I have to purchase a new card and install internally or externally? Could you please elaborate more on this?

I take it the MICS are actually attached on the guitar and the person commenting on the lessons.

Our lessons are only going to be for website use.

Thanks from
    Paul
    Last edited by guzie; 11-11-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    Free Gardening information at:
    http://www.guzmansgreenhouse.com

Firewire is not USB. The official name is IEEE-1394 Sony call it ILink. Look up Firewire on Wikipedia and it will show you the sockets on your computer.
    Nicosony was referring to the external mic socket found on some camcorders. It is a stereo socket so you can either plug in a stereo mic (self powered) or two mono mics using a Y splitter (see Radio Shack or Maplin)
    Another option for sound. Buy a mixer to combine the signals from your guitar and your microphones. Beachtek do a range which may suit your needs. If in doubt, get local advice.
    Hope that helps.

I should have added a bit more info to that first reply of mine. Concerning the mics, it might be better to put the mics on stands (stick mics), especially the one for the guitar as you may get extra noise recorded using a lapel. You can experiment with both setups and see which one works best. If you do decide to use lapels. then they can be attached to clothing using the attached clip and if you want to attach a lapel to the guitar use a small piece of masking tape over the cable, just where it connects into the actual mic. What kind of guitars are you using, acoustic or electric?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I should have added a bit more info to that first reply of mine. Concerning the mics, it might be better to put the mics on stands (stick mics), especially the one for the guitar as you may get extra noise recorded using a lapel. You can experiment with both setups and see which one works best. If you do decide to use lapels. then they can be attached to clothing using the attached clip and if you want to attach a lapel to the guitar use a small piece of masking tape over the cable, just where it connects into the actual mic. What kind of guitars are you using, acoustic or electric?
    Intially an electric guitar then the acoustic.

I still have a question concerning recording

We have firewire, camcorder, lights, small studio, pc, mics, etc....

How do we actually record...Does the camcorder have to be connected to the pc while we are recording? Or can we record the lesson to the cd that the camcorder provides then use the cd drive to upload to pc?
    We also have software for editing the recording.

Thanks again Paul Guzman
    Free Gardening information at:
    http://www.guzmansgreenhouse.com

Depending on the make of camcorder you use, you may be able to shoot your video with the camcorder not having a tape or disc inside it and just record it directly onto the hard disc using Firewire. Although it sounds like you have a mini dvd camcorder and it won't have Firewire. But most camcorders require you to have either a tape or disc inserted and you have to press buttons or they tend to power off after a few minutes.

If this happens then you will have to shoot your video on tape or disc and when done put the tape or disc into the cd/dvd drive and copy the video across to the hard disc. Depending on what software you have this may be easy or difficult. By cd, I take it you mean mini dvd? A cd can only hold one sixth the amount of video a full size dvd can.