Thread: another AVCHD bit

Default another AVCHD bit

Ok, so i'm seriously looking at buying the sony hdr-sr7.....currently the blu-ray disk burner is too much for me to spend especially since we don't know which format will win. At any rate, is it possible to record hd with this camera and save it onto my PC hard drive and for now, edit in SD and put it on a dvd? and then still have the HD file saved and create and HD copy later on down the road when the format war settles down as well as prices? I want a camera now, and would like it to be in HD so that in the future i can have the stuff i record now in HD. Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Yes - but you would need to edit in hd and render 2 versions, sd and hd.

Also - none of us regular posters here would strongly reccomend a hard drive camera - tape is still the best format.

Mark is quite right, use tape if you want to tansfer to PC and edit.

The MiniDV equivalent of this camera is the Sony HDR-HC7E, and will allow you to transfer Hi Definition footage in DV format,

Enjoy
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Blog Entries

Yes - that is a great camera, especially the 'pro' version - I want one of those myself.

Default why?

for what reason are you not recommending the hard drive cameras? I would love not having to lug a bunch of tapes and minidvs around. is it because of the ease of transfer of the other types or what? also, just so i understand correctly, you can edit film once and then choose whether to output to SD or HD at any time you want? Thanks

Its because HDD cameras capture in MPEG format (highly compressed) whereas minidv cameras capture in uncompressed AVI.

Editors (typically) want to capture, and edit, their footage in the highest available quality.

I suppose you are right, you can edit in Hi_Def (MPEG *.mp2 files or similar) but many enthusiast will advise of problems.

Good luck whatever way you go.

Enjoy
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purejammy View Post
    minidv cameras capture in uncompressed AVI.
    I don't think that's strictly true, however it is certainly a less lossy compression.
    The other very good reason for using tape is that it is easy to keep forever. Simply never record over a tape. No matter how much hard disk space you have, you WILL run out. Also as archiving content from your hard disk to another device (eg external hard disk) takes effort, you're less likely to get around to doing it. (Yes, capturing takes time & effort too but you HAVE to do that to work on anything)
    Tim