Thread: Help upgrading from Sony DCR HC-32 to HD-Camera

Question Help upgrading from Sony DCR HC-32 to HD-Camera

Hey everybody,

I live in Europe/Netherlands and currently own a Sony DCR-HC32 camera purchased in the US.

The main purpose of the camera is for me to go into cafe's, clubs, record live sets by bands I deal with and post them on YouTube or on our websites.

It is very easy to work with, but whenever I get home it takes a long while to get my footage on to the PC, because of all the capturing that has to be done, imagine 60 minute live sets, i have to wait 60 minutes before i can get to the editing and I'm not that patient. Also for some reason, I always have dropped frames, the video/audio are always out of sync and fixing it is impossible though after a few hours of cutting and pasting I get close.

The Sony DCR HC-32 gives me pale colour, and at night there's this cool night vision option to use, but the result is everybody looking like green martians. I am sometimes satisfied with the sound, and i can get in pretty close with it without sounding too distorted.

In any case, I'm through with that phase and I'd like to take the next step now.

So now I am looking to buy a HD Camera. I am looking at a few models,

Panasonic SDR-H250 digitale harddisk camcorder

Sony DCR-SR72 HD-camcorder

JVC GZ-MG255 Digitale harddisk camcorder

JVC GZ-MG155 Digitale harddisk camcorder

JVC GZ-MG130 Camcorderbundel

The problem is, I don't know how to compare these to the Sony DCR HC-32 I own now. And because these camera's are European versions, i can barely find any reviews to help me out. CNET Asia talks about HD being almost as obsolete as VHS and all reviews have read are really negative about these camera's.

The question: are these camera's better than what I got now?, and which one will suit me best??

If you're going to record a LOUD live band, in a DARK venue, take footage of fans and occasionally make fun documentaries in daylight what would be the best buy?

thanks a lot!!!!!!!! really appreciate it.

Default by the way

I meant

NET Asia talks about HDD being almost as obsolete as VHS

i'm talking about HarddiskRecording.

I would forget about looking at hard disk camcorders and look at Mini DV models instead.

I would agree with Nikosony. Mini DV is still a sound medium and very versatile. I own a Canon HV20 and like it very much. The HV20 Forum has a strong following in the Netherlands.
    Suggest you add the HV20 to your list

It's also a hell of a lot easier to get video off Mini DV tapes and into an NLE than it is with a HDD camcorder or Mini DVD camcorder. You can also use them as an analogue to digital convertor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zengalaxy View Post
    Hey everybody,

I live in Europe/Netherlands and currently own a Sony DCR-HC32 camera purchased in the US.
    This doesn't sound good. Are you using an NTSC or PAL preset when editing? This could be the cause of your synch issues.