Thread: HD or not?

1. Default HD or not?

I am a bit confused about whether its worth getting a HD camera yet or not. Im interested in the Canon HV20 as it can record in 24p however from my research this not a straight forward issue. Can anyone help with the following questions?

1. Will i get better quality if the footage is shown on a standard tv?
    2. If i burn to a normal dvd is it still hd quality?
    3. Can Vegas handle 24p footage?
    4. What problems can there be editing HD footage?

Any help would be most appreciated as if its better to wait a year or so, ill save my money and by something cheaper for now as im only just getting started and it will take me 6 months or so to get to grips with the basics.

Thanks in advance,

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Short response as weary this evening... maybe more tomorrow...

1. No.
    2. No.
    3. Yes. (but people talk a lot of rubbish about 24p imho)
    4. None with vegas that i know of, except you will need a fat pc - I wouldnt considor anything less than a decent two cored system.

I am an HV20 owner. It is one super camera.
    1. If you feed the TV from the AV input, the picture quality is marginally better. The HDV is downgraded to DV in the camera. Clearly if you feed an HD ready TV via the HDMI or Composite outputs, the picture quality is excellent.
    2. You can create an HDV or a Blu-Ray disk on some NLEs.(Studio 11+ for example) Remember HDV is less than the full HDMI standard but loads better than DV.
    3. I'm from PAL land so its 25p. I suggest you scan through Canon HV20 User Forum - Powered by vBulletin for info on 24P.
    4. None with Studio either.

I record in HDV mode and downgrade in Studio. The picture definition is vastly better than a DV camera.