Thread: Overlay following a certain point in a clip

Question Overlay following a certain point in a clip

I'm pretty new to Vegas(and this forum, hello :P) only been fooling around with it on my own so excuse my newbieness.

I'm currently working on a video in Vegas 8.0 where i have a camera moving in a straight line from left to right past a house wall, i want to have a text following this house wall, like in 01:40 of this clip: .
    The text is all done, all that i need help with is making the text following the wall smoothly.
    Sofar i've used pan/crop tool and it's doable but really hard to make it look nice.
    Any small tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Here's stillimage with and without text so you get the idea(from a video game).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by YatZee; 11-07-2007 at 01:46 AM.

In this instance Pan/Crop is NOT the solution. 3-D Track Motion might get you what you want. I put in the proviso because I am not sure just how much perspective tracking you want? However, let's get some definitions we can "share". Yeah?

* Pan/Crop: This function allows us to Pan across the face of a Frame. If you Pan too far on media, that which you want to remain within the Frame becomes too far out of frame that it will start to disappear. That is what Pan does. "Crop" allows us to crop or remove that which we do not want within a frame. In both cases, it is this "within a frame" we need to take on board and understand. The Frame here is the end of the virtual camera. What you shot is all what you get. If we Pan we do not get any extra - that's all that was "shot" from the real camera. Likewise with Crop - that was all that was shot with the Real camera. Go outside the frame, and you get nothing more. This is something that many people hereabouts don't appear to appreciate fully. And explaining this is a continuous task and re-surfaces every so often.

* 3-D Track Motion: This allows us to "MOVE" media in space. Not Pan nor Crop, but literally move media through the entire environment of the shot - independently of the virtual camera ( referred to above). Understanding this difference and understanding this is a very important feature and exactly for the reasons you are wanting this software to do. OK, you have a background, consisting of walls and floors coming and going in and out of shot, and following the perspective - 3-D - of the background. OK. What you are needing to do is to "latch" the credits TO specific areas within that 3-D environment. Depending on how complex something gets, this is a either a 1 part process OR a 2 part process.

i) Part 1: Select a Loop/Selection area to work on. this will allow you to make continuous adjustments to observe the results - immediately! On the Track Header, for the Text track, locate and click on the "Track Motion . . " icon. This will present you with the Track Motion Menu and a single Pane. You can now move the Text in 2-D space

i) Part 2: Locate the drop down menu showing "Source Alpha" and click on it. Now select 3D Source Alpha. This will now present you with a a Pane. Make sure you have ALL the panes showing by selecting "Layout (6)" - this dropdown is next to the previous drop down menu. OK. study this well and play with the controls. You now have the option sequence the movement of your Text in 3-D space; hold and move on the Text; alter the perspective of the text ( that was in the example you showed - yes?); lock movement to the x:y:z coords and accurately adjust to precisely apply what you want. it is an amazing feature.

OK, here comes the reason for the proviso. You are attempting to latch 2 tracks so that the Text moves in unison WITH the background. If you aren't careful it will ALWAYS appear as if the text is detached from the background. My thoughts are, that the example you showed, could, at one point of the compositing, have been very well had the text embeded WITH the background OR the text was latched and rendered WITH the movement. That would have made all the rest very easy - yes? Do you understand the point I'm making?

Anyways, experiment with this 3-D Track motion, and if what you wish to do is simpler than the example you showed us, you may be very well surprised as to how good you can get it.

Best regards,

Keep us informed,

Grazie

First of all thanks for taking time and writing such a thourough reply! I really appreciate it.

One prob is that i don't have the 3D Source Alpha option available, i only have Source Alpha and Multiply(mask), are you using an diffrent version of Vegas or is it something i have missed?
    This is how it looks for me:

I might have misunderstood you but the Track Motion doesn't really make the job easier or the result better. I still have to sync the text, frame by frame with the background clip, only diffrence as i see it is that with pan/crop tool the text moving occurs within the text clip itself insted of on the timeline.

This is how i'm doing it atm, it looks really akward due to the text shadow being static, i'll fix that later this is just an example for the moving effect.
    yat text.wmv 2.17mb
    And this is the timeline:

And also, english isn't my main language so i'm sorry if i explain things poorly or misunderstand.

Thanks.

Orignally you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by YatZee View Post
    I'm currently working on a video in Vegas 8.0
    You did NOT say anything other than that? You did not say it was Platinum or Vegas Pro?

Now you say:
    One prob is that i don't have the 3D Source Alpha option available, i only have Source Alpha and Multiply(mask), are you using an diffrent version of Vegas or is it something i have missed?
    Now, exactly what version of Vegas are YOU using?

And yet again, might I make a "hair-pulling" request that posters specify WHICH flavour of Vegas they ARE using? It wastes so much time for both parties - Thank you.

Really sorry about that, it totally slipped my mind.
    I have Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 neither Pro or Platinum

Really sorry about that, it totally slipped my mind.
    I have Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 neither Pro or Platinum
    In which case 3-D not available. One trick you MAY like is to use is the careful application of DEFORM Fx. Nearest to a Perspective look yeah?

Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    In which case 3-D not available. One trick you MAY like is to use is the careful application of DEFORM Fx. Nearest to a Perspective look yeah?

Grazie
    Ah i see.. Platinum/Pro is a bit too pricy for me at the moment, i'll give the deform fx a try, thanks for the tip.