Thread: .MPG file not being read properly! Too short!

Default .MPG file not being read properly! Too short!

i'm trying to encode a few video clips but one .mpg file isn't being read correctly. it's an 8 minute clip but TMPG (Plus and Xpress) as well as VirtualDub Mod and G Spot are all reading it as 59 seconds.

At first i thought it was because it was on my external HD so i transfered it over. No dice. Then i remembered i had it backed up to a cd. Tried it directly off the disk, still no dice. I'm baffled.

Here's the kicker, though: it plays and reads normally in all of my media players and i've encoded it perfectly before. i'm totally stuck and this is beyond my knowledge of editing.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

sounds corrupt. Have you tried de/remuxing it in tmpgenc or something similar?

part of the problem is that TMPG says it's only 59sec. long. it'll only dmux that part of the file. i recently re-installed my OS but i had the file encoded prior to that and it worked just fine. it just now stopped working right.

If everything's reading it as that, it's jiggered.

you say it plays ok. Does it play ok, AND seeking works ok? Can you skip to and fro inside the file fine? Another sign that it's broken would be that you can play it, and it'll reach the end of the file ok, but if you try to skip at all, it'll freeze, but the counter will still keep ticking the seconds away as if it was playing.

Not sure what to do under the circumstances.

Generally if something's corrupt, i just ditch it, but i can see it might not always be easy to give up without a fight. There are several apps about for fixing corrupt mpeg files, it might be worth giving them a bash. Can't hurt.

thanks for the response so quick. yup, seeks fine, opens fine, time remaining is fine in all media players.

i'd hate to lose this vid, but it wont be the end of the world. can you suggest some of those mpeg fixers? thanks!

I really haven't used any, so it'd be a case of googling them, downloading a pile and giving them a bash.

odd that it seeks fine...

Perhaps you can find a prog that will edit the headers to correct the length it thinks it is?