Thread: How do I slow down a video OR speed it up?

Default How do I slow down a video OR speed it up?

Hey guys, Im new to Vegas. I figured pretty much everything out expect how do I speed up and slow down videos? Like slow motion

Three easy ways, (assuming full version of Vegas, 6,7,

1 grab the end of the clip while holding the CTRL key and the hand should change to a wavy line then pull or squeeze as required.

2 Right click on clip and select Envelopes>Velocity, then use as you would rubber band audio

3 Right clip on clip and select properties and there is a an option at the bottom of the box for speed/Velocity

You can use 1 and option 3 together to get a faster speed.
    once a clip has it's speed change a zig-zag line runs through the clip on the time line

I sometimes find easier to split clips and then do the speed changes rather then use option 2

Welcome to the Sony Vegas Portal

Thanks! It works

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Three easy ways, (assuming full version of Vegas, 6,7,

1 grab the end of the clip while holding the CTRL key and the hand should change to a wavy line then pull or squeeze as required.

2 Right click on clip and select Envelopes>Velocity, then use as you would rubber band audio

3 Right clip on clip and select properties and there is a an option at the bottom of the box for speed/Velocity

You can use 1 and option 3 together to get a faster speed.
    once a clip has it's speed change a zig-zag line runs through the clip on the time line

I sometimes find easier to split clips and then do the speed changes rather then use option 2

Welcome to the Sony Vegas Portal
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, I am finding it too difficult to follow your steps because vegas 11 platinum is behaving in a weird manner.

a) there is nothing like envelope and velocity. there is an option to increase playback speed which works ok to slow down video but when I am increasing video speed, say by 4 times, vegas adds the same clips again and again in the final rendered file for the duration of original clip..

basically what I want ?? I have close to 10 minutes of video of a sun rise on a peak. now I want to speed up the footage so that whole scene completes in 22 seconds approx.
    i have SONY VEGAS PLATINUM 11. as I said doing it way explained above is unnecessarily repeating the scenes for 10 minutes... insane...

what I thought should be easily possible was to be able to pick 1 frame per second of shot ( xactly the way time lapse recording is done ) ie. for my 50frame per second footage I thought I shall drop 49 frames and pick up just 1 frame, leading to 20 second or so of footage....

is it not possible to achieve what I wish???
    this forum is full of brilliant and creative people so can you please throw some light.. keeping vegas 11 in mind.

Look at the clues, I did mention PRO (no Velocity Envelope)

This should still work for your version
    1 grab the end of the clip while holding the CTRL key and the hand should change to a wavy line then pull or squeeze as required

The reason for the duplicated clips is because it is NOT being stretched, just extended, you need to make sure you get that hand change to a WAVYLINE

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Look at the clues, I did mention PRO (no Velocity Envelope)

This should still work for your version
    1 grab the end of the clip while holding the CTRL key and the hand should change to a wavy line then pull or squeeze as required

The reason for the duplicated clips is because it is NOT being stretched, just extended, you need to make sure you get that hand change to a WAVYLINE
    thanks. it worked .

Quote Originally Posted by chandanprakash2002 View Post
    thanks. it worked .
    so what I wanted to achieve and have managed to do so is shown below..

Sun rise on Kanchenjunga as seen from Darjeeling ( Tiger Hill ) - YouTube