Thread: DVD camcorder that I can use to record from Digital8?

Default DVD camcorder that I can use to record from Digital8?

A couple of questions. Firstly, I want to transfer my Digital8 tapes onto DVD and acquire a new camcorder that records onto DVD. It occurred to me that I should get a DVD camcorder that allows recording from external sources thus allowing me to conbine these two operations into one. I had a look at the latest Sony models but unfortunately they don't seem to have video input from external sources. Then I looked at the Canon models - they have external video input but use DVDs that only last about 30 minutes. So I suppose what I'm looking for is a DVD camcorder that can record from external devices using "normal" DVDs that last over an hour and a half.

Edit: I have just seen that the Sony DCR DVD505E allows for video input while the DCR DVD506E does not, although the DVD506E has other superior technical specifications. Do they make a camcorder that has superior technical specifications AND allows for video input?

Secondly, I just wonder if anybody knows what exactly is wrong with my current Digital8 camcorder and how much it would probably cost to fix it? Whenever I try to play Digital8 tapes it switches into Hi8 mode and refuses to play them (even though the playback mode on the options menu is set to Digital. Sometimes a few seconds of footage will play but with horizontal grey lines across the screen.
    Last edited by rpj83; 11-04-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpj83 View Post
    I just wonder if anybody knows what exactly is wrong with my current Digital8 camcorder and how much it would probably cost to fix it? Whenever I try to play Digital8 tapes it switches into Hi8 mode and refuses to play them (even though the playback mode on the options menu is set to Digital. Sometimes a few seconds of footage will play but with horizontal grey lines across the screen.

The horizontal grey bars sounds like dirty heads, you need to put a head cleaning tape in, BUT, read the instructions first, it only needs about 10 seconds. I have a D8 camcorder that I use now for Archiving, amongst the tapes I have is one tape that won't drop into Digital, its a HI8 tape, all the other tapes are old STD8 tapes these are no trouble at all in Digital. I think if you puy that HI8 tape in and record the tape in Digital a few seconds at the start and get a time code on right at the start, it might help, it maybe that the tape is still HI8 mode right at the begining.

As regards your other questions about DVD camcorders. my own view is not to go anywhere near DVD camcorders,
    if you want to do any serious editing to compile work for a DVD, you are better off wirh MiniDV and bring it into a computer as an AVI, edit that, then burn to DVD, If you start with a DVD camcorder you are already working with a compressed image, to make another DVD from that you are compressing it even further.

These are just my thoughts, I know a lot of people who wished they had never bought a DVD camera
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video

3.2 Ghz P4 800FSB CPU, 2Gb DDR400 PC3200 memory, 128Mb AGP ATI Radeon 9200 DDR Graphics, 40 Gb H/D, 250 Gb H/D, 1.5 Tb H/D, NEC ND-2510 dual layer DVD 8X, LG Gsa-4081B DVD, Creative soundblaster live, Windows XP SP1, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements 2.

Thanks for your reply. The camcorder switches to Hi8 mode even when I use Digital8 tapes, I think it must be some sort of internal technical fault. I'll probably just have to get Sony to fix it then I'll record the tapes onto DVD using a DVD recorder.

Thanks for your advice regarding DVD camcorders, are the new hard drive camcorders any good?

Quote Originally Posted by rpj83 View Post
    are the new hard drive camcorders any good?

Hi There,

As far as I am concerned I think the same thing must apply as to the DVD camcorder, it is a compressed image, at least I think so, I must admit to not knowing a great deal about the new Hard Drive camcorders.
    An hour long MiniDV tape when put on a computer as an AVI takes up about 13GB, I don't know the size of the Hard Drives in the camcorders, a DVD is less than 5 GB
    I can go out on a 2 or 3 day filming and comeback with about 6 tapes, that would need a drive in the camcorder of at least 80gigs if its to be in AVI.
    Some of my footage is used for Television, Working with a compressed image is no good for me.

I'm here to be shot down in flames if anyone can prove me wrong

Alan
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video

3.2 Ghz P4 800FSB CPU, 2Gb DDR400 PC3200 memory, 128Mb AGP ATI Radeon 9200 DDR Graphics, 40 Gb H/D, 250 Gb H/D, 1.5 Tb H/D, NEC ND-2510 dual layer DVD 8X, LG Gsa-4081B DVD, Creative soundblaster live, Windows XP SP1, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements 2.