Thread: pinnacle DV500 replacement card

Exclamation pinnacle DV500 replacement card

Hi, i have a pinnacle DV500 capture card in my computer, and on the recent purchase of Adobe After Effects, i have run in to a problem where in i need service pack 2 to run After Effects, however i have the same problem that the DV500 does not run with Service Pack 2....

So i have decided to get rid of my capture card and replace it with a different card that does not clash with service pack 2....

So please can any one give any advice on a capture card similar to the DV500 about the same price i paid 5 years ago and that works with versions of Premier????

Cheers, Thomas

Are you using a Mini DV camcorder? If you are then get a PCI Firewire card costing around 20 and install that. Connect the camcorder to the card using a Firewire cable (price depends on length) and that will work with all NLE's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Are you using a Mini DV camcorder? If you are then get a PCI Firewire card costing around 20 and install that. Connect the camcorder to the card using a Firewire cable (price depends on length) and that will work with all NLE's.
    Yeah, but i also still want the power of being able to capture analog video as well, because i still capture alot of VHS and 8mm video..so i'm really interested in finding a kind of newer version of the pinnacle DV500 card, but is a bit better, but still in the same kind of price range like....

Any ideas?

I was continualy finding Pinnacle DV500 a pain in the Bum linked with Premiere 6.5, I have had it since 2000, its always been a problem, so sometime ago I just left the dv 500 capture card in situ but removed the breakout box (I sold that to someone who was desperate for one) and loaded Premiere Elements and Bought a Canopus ADVC110 to capture Analogue with, Its been absolutely stable ever since, Pinnacle is still on there if ever I want to edit in DV500 but that is still twitchy

What I'm saying is you can use it just as a capture card, a unit like the ACVC110 will take care of the Analogue into Digital, and Elements will do your DVD's from the timeline.
    Last edited by Team Man; 11-01-2007 at 11:32 PM.
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video

3.2 Ghz P4 800FSB CPU, 2Gb DDR400 PC3200 memory, 128Mb AGP ATI Radeon 9200 DDR Graphics, 40 Gb H/D, 250 Gb H/D, 1.5 Tb H/D, NEC ND-2510 dual layer DVD 8X, LG Gsa-4081B DVD, Creative soundblaster live, Windows XP SP1, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements 2.

to be honest. i have taken it out now, and have decided that i would like to have one card for all the jobs, i have been told that the Matrox capture card is pretty good, but does any one know the sort of price they are and if they are any good? or how they compair to the DV500???

Cheers...