Thread: How to cut images in a video and replace with new images

Exclamation How to cut images in a video and replace with new images

Hola experts!

Here is my question and dire requirement

My requirement is to cut some objects (face, hands, body) of an existing video and then paste the new version of it. For example, let's say there is a video, video1 about 2 mins long. I imported that video into the vegas editor and in the time line I expanded that 2 minute video in to frames/sec (so that became like a 120 frame video). Next I have another video, video2 similar to video 1 but with different cast in it. Now I want to cut a person from video1 and have his image replaced with another guy from video2.

I have gotten the Sony Vegas 8 (the latest ver) and I dont know where to find a way to cut an image (selected image) like face/complete body of a person from the video frame. I have looked under compositing and all it says is about how to "MIX" two seperate videos.
    This is my requirement. How would I do that? If this is not possible in Vegas 8, please tell me which software does this. I would greatly greatly greatly appreciate if you keep in mind about my ignorance in video editing and provide solutions accordingly;

Quote Originally Posted by jammerules View Post
    This is my requirement. How would I do that? If this is not possible in Vegas 8, please tell me which software does this. I would greatly greatly greatly appreciate if you keep in mind about my ignorance in video editing and provide solutions accordingly;
    Hmmm . . . yes, yes I think I have done that . . .

It is your very last sentence that I am keeping very much in mind. There is absolutely NO reason why, at sometime in the future, why you shouldn't be able to do the majority of this within editing software. Will VEGAS do what you want? Not knowing exactly what you are after, and where you exactly you wish to apply your "compositing", I can't honestly reply.

I would need to sit down with you and spend not a small amount of time in thinking it through and working on a workflow that would be appropriate to the task in hand. Yes, thinking it through. If others here want to chime in and, basically, spend much time typing out what you could possibly do - that's up to them. But from the small amount of information you have provided, which IS an excellent place to start, I can't really get into the techniques involved. Maybe me saying this might inspire others to deconstruct your aims and come up with a workflow appropriate to your needs.

But it wont be me.

What we have here, AND for all the right reasons too - i.e. you want to express yourself - is "expectation" OVER present "ability". This is tough. This is really tough.

However, within Pan/Crop do experiment with the MASKING feature ( ) to literally MASK lumps out of your video. This would be a way to start getting an idea just how complex a task you have set yourself. And yet, if your requirements/outputs are fairly low-end in terms of quality and more suck 'n see, then the Pan/Crop > (Bezier) Masking feature may just win the day for you. I dunno.

As I said, this is an issue of managing expectations. Not just OF the software, but ALSO of yourself.

You have chosen a really hard road to plough. And why not! If you don't attempt to stretch and struggle, you/I/we wont learn. My concern is that you - and again, noting your very honest appreciation of your own place at the moment in understanding this "stuff", being early days - will get very frustrated. And possibly frustrated with a package which you recently purchased. My thoughts are that IF you do get that frustrated with, what is a task that is quite advanced, please don't blame the software nor your present skill-set.

Please keep us updated to where you have got to.

Good luck!

Grazie