Thread: Canon HG10 AVCHD

Thumbs up Canon HG10 AVCHD

I bought the new Canon HG10 it's a sweet video camera easy to learn to use and takes quality movies.

Consumer Camcorders - High Definition Camcorders - DVD Camcorders - Single Chip CCD Digital Camcorders - High Definition Camcorder - HG10 - Canon USA Consumer Products

Only one small item thats a problem. Right now there is very few software editing programs supporting the Canon HG10s M2TS file system.

The camera comes with Corel Ulead Movie Factory 5.6se a very limited program. Usable to do cliping and stiching editing but very limited in it's usefulness IMHO.

The camera also comes with a program called Menu Guide for transfering files from the cameras hard drive to computer. And a program called Inter Video Win DVDse for viewing your movies.

any questions just ask

Any way to use the software it comes with to convert the AVCHD M2TS file to a file type that I could use Premiere Pro to edit? Something like "export video" and then "file type: [convenient file extension here]" would be sweet, lol.

I really like the HG10, but if I can't edit it using Premiere Pro, I'll probably go with the HV20

Default Editing Software for Canon HG 10

Hi,

Coud I ask if you have found any decent software for editing the Canon HG 10 please?

Many thanks,

Penstrg

Quote Originally Posted by photobug4741 View Post
    I bought the new Canon HG10 it's a sweet video camera easy to learn to use and takes quality movies.

Consumer Camcorders - High Definition Camcorders - DVD Camcorders - Single Chip CCD Digital Camcorders - High Definition Camcorder - HG10 - Canon USA Consumer Products

Only one small item thats a problem. Right now there is very few software editing programs supporting the Canon HG10s M2TS file system.

The camera comes with Corel Ulead Movie Factory 5.6se a very limited program. Usable to do cliping and stiching editing but very limited in it's usefulness IMHO.

The camera also comes with a program called Menu Guide for transfering files from the cameras hard drive to computer. And a program called Inter Video Win DVDse for viewing your movies.

any questions just ask

So far all I am using is the software that came with my Canon HG10 I have read many reports of software that some say does or does not work that the sellers have claims of it working then people find it won't work with the Canon files. So I like you are asking the same question.

Blog Entries

I've been looking to go AVCHD recently, so have been doing a bit of background research on editing the files. I don't want to use anything other than Premiere after spending so much on upgrades over the years (and learning the thing!), so I need a way of working with AVCHD on the Premiere timeline.

Well, the best I have come up with so far is to transcode the files to HDV first. I have grabbed a few sample mt2s files from 't'interent' and converted these using elecard's converter studio (AVCHD edition). Conversion is relatively quick and the resultant file scrubs fine on the timeline. The software is $75.

Blog Entries

Marc - I am curious - why are you going down this frustrating road? Those canon files defeated me totally ! Why not hdv tape ?

Blog Entries

Tiny, cheap(ish) and record to solid state media.

Although I'm somewhat peeved at the thought of a frustrating road, you end up having to take what's on offer. Unfortunately my budget, nor my baggage allowance, permits me to get a high end DV or HDV camera, so these are the best option given those constraints. It's simply not pratical to lug around a high end camera around what I want to do with it, so I've been investigating the more practical (in terms of recording) solutions.

And realistically the work flow doesn't really change that much; given that the model I am looking at record to solid state media, there's no hassles of 'capture'. So I will simply transcode what I want just as I would always capture only what I needed. And, of course, you then don't have the limitations of tape.

Again, not ideal, but I'm starting to get a pragmatic workflow.

Blog Entries

I see - solid atate is the future for sure.

I understand about small cameras too - my tiny sony PC4 gets far more use than my big camera, I often take it everywhere 'just in case'.

Why of why do thay use such a daft codec on affordable ss cams - there really is no need as storage is so cheap now.

Can you provide a step by step tutorial for getting video files from the Canon HG10 into a PC?

Thanks

Can you provide a step by step tutorial for getting video files from the Canon HG10 onto a PC?

Thanks