Thread: pixelated clip

Default pixelated clip

Hello!

I use Sony Vegas 7.0 for about 14 days now and from the day that I installed it I'm having the same problem. When I try to edit clip (like cutting it to two clips or moving through the clip) it becomes pixelated. I don't really know how to describe it, but the whole picture becomes covered with small squares of very bright colors (pink, blue, green), usually only on places of the clip where I try to cut it or something like that. It looks like that moving through the clip somehow spoils it And after I render the video and watch it with another program, it remains pixelated on the same places.

I really don't know why is it so, or maybe there are some settings I should change... I hope that someone can help me here.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Blog Entries

Not really sure I understand what you mean by "Moving through the clip" but let's get back to basics. Can you describe exactly what you are doing right from how you plug your camera into the PC to transfer data. Where possible use Sony Vegas terminology (eg "clips" don't exist in the Vegas world, I suspect what you are referring to as "clips" are what Vegas calls "events" - a part of some media placed on the timeline). Wgere you're unsure of the terminology, please say so or we might bark up the wrong tree.

Look forward to your detailed post.
    Tim

Thank you for your reply.
    First of all I'm sorry for not being exact enough. I'm new at Vegas so I'm really quite unsure of the terminology. So I'll try to make it more clear with some pictures (I hope it helps).

The video which I tried to edit was taken from a computer game (The Sims 2). After placing the video on the timeline and just playing it in the preview window it was ok, the picture was clear,... Than I was moving the cursor through the timeline (I don't know if that's the right expression so I posted the picture) to get the right moment of the video, where I wanted to split it to two parts (using Edit/Split). And that is when the video becomes pixelated but only on the part where I was dragging the cursor left and right. I also posted the picture of the pixelated part of video.

I hope this helps you understand the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting those pictures - it really IS a big help when it comes to diagnosis.
    Sadly I've no idea what format The Sims saves videos in - can you let us know that? At least tell us the file extension (the bit after the "." eg. in myfile.mpg it is mpg.
    Better still, download a program (free) called GSpot, open it and load your video - it will give fine details aboute exactly what codec was used to encode the file.

HOWEVER, thanks to your posting of the pictures, I can tell IMMEDIATELY that you have either stretched or compressed your event in time (ie slowed it down or speeded it up). The zig-zag is the clue. Was that your intention? I suspect that the "problem" may a combination of this and incorrect resampling settings.
    Tim

I'm really glad that you managed to figure out something out of those pictures

Anyway, I downloaded GSpot and I thought it'd be best to post another picture, so that you can see the information you need, because that really doesn't tell much to me... The picture shows information about the very same video that became "zig-zaged".

Yes I did slow down the video (using Ctrl and then streched it in timeline). But I think that the same problem occured also on the videos wich I didn't strech or compress.

Well I still don't know what to do to fix this so I ask you for additional help. Thanks for your time, look forward to your next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Again, thanks for posting the screengrab.
    The importants stuff here is that the codec used is VP61.
    I'm not really a codec person, but a bit of a search suggested to me this is some sort of flash encoding (I may be entirely wrong and misled by the word "Flash" in your screen grab.
    Where we go from here, I'm afaraid I don't know.
    I presume it can be done as http://www.thesiddog.com/TheSidDogMachinimaTips.pdf (quite possibly a document you've already downloaded) recommends using Vegas. There may be some more info in that doc which helps - but I couldn't find it :(
    Tim

Thank you for your effort and for this document. I'll check it out and see if there's any info that could help me fix this problem. If I found out something I'll post it here, maybe it would help someone else...