Thread: Advice? DV vs MPEG-2

Default Advice? DV vs MPEG-2

Hi all.

I've recently decided to do something about the pile of 10+ Hi-8 tapes in my TV drawer. In particular I'd like to edit these before burning to DVD, so that they are actually watchable, rather than the 6hrs of raw Maldives footage that I can't bear to plough through at the moment!

From reading a few articles, it seems that I need to make a decision about which kind of format I should convert the Hi-8 to. Either DV then edit, then compress to MPEG-2 for burning OR Hi=8 straight to MPEG-2, then edit the MPEG-2?

I understand that DV is MUCH larger, but easier to edit before compressing? And less 'lossy'?

And MPEG-2 takes up less space but is harder to edit and has issues sometimes?

Is this about right? Will I get decent results if I transfer Hi-8 to MPEG-2 and then edit the MPEG-2?

By editing, I would like to cut out sections and maybe add some music and transitional effects. Possibly mixing in some stills too. I'd also like to chapter the resultant DVD and choose the chapter points, as well as maybe design the title and root menu layouts.

Any advice appreciated. On a budget, but want good results (ie, as little quality loss as possible from original source, and no problems with sound synch etc)

Thanks
    Last edited by OdgeUK; 10-19-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Do you own a Hi 8 camcorder in order to play the tapes back on?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Do you own a Hi 8 camcorder in order to play the tapes back on?
    Yes, I do. Not a brilliant one. A Canon G45. It has an AV out and that's it.

My advice would be to purchase a cheap Mini DV camcorder with AV in sockets and DV out. You will need a Firewire cable and perhaps a Firewire card if your computer doesn't have Firewire already. You then run cables from your Hi-8 to the AV in sockets on the Mini DV and then connect the Mini DV to the computer using DV out (Firewire). What you have just done is create an analogue to digital convertor where you take the video and audio from the Hi-8 camcorder put them through the Mini DV camcorder and out to the computer using DV out (Firewire). That's if you want to get into editing in a more substantial way or you could just purchase a DVD recorder and connect the Hi-8 to it using the AV cables and burn your videos directly onto DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    My advice would be to purchase a cheap Mini DV camcorder with AV in sockets and DV out. You will need a Firewire cable and perhaps a Firewire card if your computer doesn't have Firewire already. You then run cables from your Hi-8 to the AV in sockets on the Mini DV and then connect the Mini DV to the computer using DV out (Firewire). What you have just done is create an analogue to digital convertor where you take the video and audio from the Hi-8 camcorder put them through the Mini DV camcorder and out to the computer using DV out (Firewire). That's if you want to get into editing in a more substantial way or you could just purchase a DVD recorder and connect the Hi-8 to it using the AV cables and burn your videos directly onto DVD.
    I have firewire card and cable, so that's all good. Certainly seems like a good idea. So using this method, I will have a DV file dumped to my PC, which I can edit and compress to MPEG-2 when finished? How might this method compare to using Analogue to Digital devices like the Canopus ADVC-100? Or the various Dazzle / Pinnacle products which claim to convert your analogue to MPEG-2 without the DV intermediate step?

I definately do want to edit. Straight unedited dumps from Hi-8 to DVD using a DVD recorder I'd like to avoid.

It is not advisable to use mpeg2 to do your editing on. That file format should only be used at the end when you are burning a finished project to DVD. Start with the highest quality that means DV-AVI version 2, to give it its full title. That way you will have the best picture quality to start with. I haven't used the Canopus ADVC-100 so I can't comment on it, but yes it does the same job but you can't use it as a camcorder. So using a camcorder instead to do your analogue to digital coverting will give you a covertor plus a camcorder aswell, two for the price of one. Again, I would stay away from devices that capture to mpeg as it is a difficult format to edit in all of the popular video editors.

NikoSony - thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.