Thread: Stereo Audio

Default Stereo Audio

Is it possible to split the imported stereo audio on two seperate mono tracks? Version 7.0e
    Last edited by Firefly; 10-18-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Blog Entries

There's a script, courtesey of Ed Troxel here www.jetdv.com :: View topic - convert stereo track to mono
    that might do the trick.
    Tim

Ok, so now how do I control each channel independantly?

Blog Entries

You've created the script and run it successfully, yes?
    It has produced two mono tracks, yes?
    So now you have had your original question answered (Yes - it IS possible) and as a bonus, you've been told a way of doing it (not what you asked for, but, I suspect, what you really meant to ask)

Now you're asking a meaningless question - how to control the channels of a mono track independently. By definition a mono track has only one channel.

What is it exactly you are trying to do?
    Tim

Your best bet is to use an audio editor. Export both channels independently so that you have two files, one right channel and one left channel. You can then import them into your video -- one into the sound effects track and one into the music track.

One really big problem. Sound editors are not cheap! I bought one in 2000 that was fairly priced but it's no longer available. It was gobbled up by Adobe so it wouldn't compete with their product. But there might be an editor out there that's at a reasonable price. If you find one, let us know, eh?

Oh! The editor I have is called Cool Edit 2000. It's pretty dang good. Google it and see if you can find a copy, but don't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You've created the script and run it successfully, yes?
    It has produced two mono tracks, yes?
    So now you have had your original question answered (Yes - it IS possible) and as a bonus, you've been told a way of doing it (not what you asked for, but, I suspect, what you really meant to ask)

Now you're asking a meaningless question - how to control the channels of a mono track independently. By definition a mono track has only one channel.

What is it exactly you are trying to do?
    I need to have one channel at minimum while the other is at full and then visa versa as I have an interviewer on one channel and the interviewee on the other, if both channels are up then the sound is too open.

Blog Entries

So, you've got two mono tracks, one with the original left channel (interviewer) only and one with the original right channel (interviewee) only and you want to "silence" the interviewer track when the interviewee is talking and vice versa?
    The answer is "envelopes" either Volume envelopes or Mute envelopes. Try this:
    Select one of the audio tracks.
    Right click on the track header choose "Insert/Remove envelopes" then add a Volume envelope.
    You'll see a line appear across the track. This represents the original volume.
    Double-click a point on that line. This will create an "envelope point". Double-click to create another point a bit further along the line. Drag that node down to the bottom of the track. Now play the track. You can now see and hear what's happening. Get the idea? Fantastic, isn't it?

A mute envelope works exactly the same way except sound is only "on" or "off". Alteration of volume doesn't come into it.

Enjoy.

(Oh, you can play around with different shaped curves between two points and you can use real-time automation as well, once you've mastered the basics outlined above)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lengo View Post
    Your best bet is to use an audio editor.
    Not if, as in this case, everything you need to do can be accomplished easily in Vegas. You may not be aware that Vegas actually started life as an audio editor and consequently has much more audio capability built in than its rivals. How many other products can you name that allow you to create and selectively route audio tracks to different busses, applying different audio effects at the event, track, bus and output level?
    I'm only labouring the point as I realise you are new to/investigating Vegas at the moment and not all these things are immediately obvious.
    Tim

It was me being a pr*t I had a volume envelope on the left track but had not put one on the right!!
    Don't I feel a plonker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Don't I feel a plonker.
    We've all got that T-shirt! Glad you're sorted.
    Tim