Thread: Size makes a difference....

Unhappy Size makes a difference....

I was hoping someone could help a amature to camcorders and pcs.

I just got myself a JVC JZ-MG130 30GB cam, all is well except for the huge file sizes. It has four quality settings - economy,normal,fine and ultra fine. Naturally the latter has the biggest file size,

However even in normal which I prefere to use the sizes are stupid 6 mins took 250mb and when considering what space you get on a dvd its not going to hold alot of footage. I've read about the sound quality but on my cam theres no way to adjust it (dolby digital I think), I have things on like gain, steady hand setting thingy and wind reduction and also the cam records in MPEG2.

I've tried everything to get the size down and even on economy its still big, infact theres little difference in file size between the four settings.

Is there anything I can do? I just want to make dvds of family events etc that I can keep. So far I've made a test dvd but the small amount of footage I could squeeze on was dissapointing.

Another annoying aspect is that no editing software reqognizes mpeg2 not even movie maker.

Thanx in advance
    Last edited by dazzi220; 10-18-2007 at 09:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Firstly - cameras that record to a hard drive in mpeg2 format are not ideal for editing. Some editors can edit it but for others you will need to convert the video to a format the editor can use - try 'super c'.

DV cameras are still the camera of choice. If you can exchange your camera for a DV (or HDV) tape model - best quality and easier to edit as a rule.

The file sizes you mention are to be expected.

DV, 6 mins - about 1 gig.
    DVD, 6 mins, about 300 meg.

so theres nothing I can do about the size?

Unfortuantly I nolonger have the reciept nor the packaging anyway but tbh I'm happy with the cam and the tapes got on my nerves,

I was more interested in just getting my footage onto dvd but at this rate I'll need a pile of dvds just to document a birthday party something.

If I convert the file into something different will this reduce its size? if so do you know of a good, free program to do this, what file type I should change them to and would I still be able to watch them on my dvd player?

I know its alot lol

Blog Entries

To make a dvd you can play in a dvd player you need a dvd authouring program.

I am not sure what to reccomend at the value end of the market but I believe roxio and nero do sensibly priced stuff that will do the job.

Expect to get around an hour on a 4.7 gig single sided dvd-r. Aint that long enough for your party video? I find that less is more when it comes to length of videos.

yeh I guess you're right, an hour per dvd is ok and the discs are avalible on mass cheaply nowadays. It'll do until a blu-ray writer etc comes out lol.

Is there anything I can do to lower the file sizes? for example I can change recording to 4:3 appose to the wide screen its set at now, and what about conditions such as dark/light etc does that effect the file size?

I appreciate all your help

Blog Entries

When making the dvd most spps let you specify the bit rate - this is really the only parameter that affects the size and the quality.

Typically a dvd is made at 6 mbit / sec but can go up to 8 or 9 (i think) and as low as 2 (guessing a bit). Personally wouldnt go below 4.

6 will give just under an hour on a 4.7 gig dvd-r.

Thanx for all your advice mark, much appreciated