Thread: ac3 avi movies don't play back in 5.1 on divx dvd player

Default ac3 avi movies don't play back in 5.1 on divx dvd player

hi all,

thanks for reading this and for any replies i get.

i have just bought a divx dvd player (toshiba sd-270e) so that i can stick 5 or 6 avi movies onto a blank dvd and free up space on my hard drive. some of the avi files say they are ac3 encoded, which as far as i understand, means that with the correct equipment, they should play back in 5.1 surround. the dvd player is hooked up to a yamaha rx-v357 home cinema receiver with a digital coax lead. when i watch original dvd's, they are played back in 5.1 surround, but when i watch the ac3 avi movies they only play back in boring old 2 channel left and right stereo.
    i have also tried burning a single ac3 avi movie onto a dvd as a dvd movie. i used winAVIvideoconverter to create the required dvd files, and then nero to burn the files onto dvd to play back in the dvd player. this method only gives me 2 channel stereo as well.
    where am i going wrong? any answers/solutions i get would be grately received!
    cheers,

funkyspaceman

You need software that supports 5.1, all the way from ripping to encoding or you will always end up with stereo instead.

Nero is going to be your problem, as winAVIvideoconverter is 5.1 compatible.

Get yourself a multichannel Plug-in for nero (if you haven't already). Probably cost around 10-15.

If you already have got multi-channel support then it's going to be one of your settings that's wrong.