Thread: I need an edcucation about file formats

Question I need an edcucation about file formats

I'm sure others do too, and I can't find info on the Net. Go figger. Usually you can find everything, but not this time.

There's a wealth of different file formats. There's MPGS, including MPG 1 in many flavors (CD, and VHS are two that I know of). There's MPeg 2 and MPeg 4, and those come in flavors too. Then there's AVIs, which seem to be a generic term. Then there's VCD, DIV, HD something or other, and lotsa different types. Okay, fine! What are these? When do you use one over another? Whats the difference between these, especially the MPGs?

Get the picture (pun intended)? Where's a treatis on all this stuff? I'm lost! I have no clue of when to use what format, and why. Please help me and others who are total noobs.

Thanks!

This should help you grasshopper....... Video File Formats if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Well, thanks, but that isn't what I need. This is only a list of formats, and whether they're commonly used or not. What I need to know is why would I use mp4 instead of mp2 or even just plain mpg? What is VCD and SVCD, and when do I choose one over the other?

One specific problem I have is that Fraps will record half screen size. That results in 512x384 on my puter. Unfortunately, Pinnacle's TRex won't convert to that size. Furthermore, for some reason, inserting an original clip from Fraps into a split results in one missing frame (blackness) at the end of the insertion. So, how do I convert Fraps 512x384

Well, thanks, but that isn't what I need. This is only a list of formats, and whether they're commonly used or not. What I need to know is why would I use mp4 instead of mp2 or even just plain mpg? What is VCD and SVCD, and when do I choose one over the other? Is there an advantage to using WMV over Mpg, or is there an advantage in the other direction?

There's VCD and DVD quality. Erm. okay. How do I use them?

And whats up with data rates? Is more better? Or does it just bloat the file size? Furthermore, how does compression impact quality?

One specific problem I have is that Fraps will record AVI in half screen size. That results in 512x384 on my puter. Unfortunately, Pinnacle's TRex won't convert to that size. Furthermore, for some reason, inserting an original AVI clip from Fraps into a split results in one missing frame (blackness) at the end of the insertion. So, how do I convert Fraps AVI 512x384 into an MPG thats the original size and doesn't create this empty frame? I can make this size, thanks to custom settings, but what data rate should I use?

Larger is better. It's obvious that video is like a standard image. You can reduce size and not cause pixelation, but increasing the size will cause pixelation. But, I'm uncertain about data rate and quality, and don't even know how data rate impacts quality.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone either, yet I can find no information about this on the Net. I had already found what you pointed me to, but it tells me nothing. So, where is this kind of information? It must be out there somewhere!

I think you are worrying too much about file formats. Tell us what you are specifically looking to do and we will suggest file formats for you. The file formats I use the most are .avi, .mpeg and .wmv for the web. The .avi is a high quality camcorder format that is used with Mini DV camcorders and can be exported from the likes of Adobe Premiere Pro and such. An .mpeg file is what a lot of users 'use' to burn DVD discs to, it needs to be this file format to play back on home dvd players and it uses more compression (squeezing a large object into a small space). Finally there is .wmv which is one of many video file formats for the web, it uses lots of compression as you are only allowed a small amount of space on the likes of YouTube and such to upload your videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lengo View Post
    Well, thanks, but that isn't what I need. This is only a list of formats, and whether they're commonly used or not. What I need to know is why would I use mp4 instead of mp2 or even just plain mpg? What is VCD and SVCD, and when do I choose one over the other? Is there an advantage to using WMV over Mpg, or is there an advantage in the other direction?

There's VCD and DVD quality. Erm. okay. How do I use them?

And whats up with data rates? Is more better? Or does it just bloat the file size? Furthermore, how does compression impact quality?

One specific problem I have is that Fraps will record AVI in half screen size. That results in 512x384 on my puter. Unfortunately, Pinnacle's TRex won't convert to that size. Furthermore, for some reason, inserting an original AVI clip from Fraps into a split results in one missing frame (blackness) at the end of the insertion. So, how do I convert Fraps AVI 512x384 into an MPG thats the original size and doesn't create this empty frame? I can make this size, thanks to custom settings, but what data rate should I use?

Larger is better. It's obvious that video is like a standard image. You can reduce size and not cause pixelation, but increasing the size will cause pixelation. But, I'm uncertain about data rate and quality, and don't even know how data rate impacts quality.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone either, yet I can find no information about this on the Net. I had already found what you pointed me to, but it tells me nothing. So, where is this kind of information? It must be out there somewhere!
    To teach you about each and every format would take to long, my suggestion, read on this forum as much as you can, ask questions when you have one and get as many books on video editing that you can.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

THANK YOU, Nikosony! I finally have a clue!

No, I wasnt' worrying too much. I was totally ignorant. Now I'm not, and have at least a general clue on how to proceed. Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

One clarification, though. DV is a format that is used within a camera? Is this for tape? DV means Digital Video? This is stored on a chip type memory, or is it tape?

See. I'm poor. I can't affford a camcorder or even a digital camera. The camera I have was all of $80, and I hadda make a big sacrifice to get that. My money comes from Social Security, so I have no money for these things, and no interest in them either. They're outta my range. I got my Pinnacle Studio on a stretch too. I paid all of $70 for it. I'm eating beans now, and will unitl November. But that's not the point. The point is I have the software and want to get going, and going it in the dark just isn't the way to do it.

Thanks again!