Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Default Is it possible?

Hi first of all i want to say hi to everyone in the forums. I was wondering if its possible to capture video from a DVD with Premier Pro. If yes how can I do it? I have a DVD of a home made (non-edited) wedding video that I like to edit. I don't have the original cassette all I have is a DVD

thanks for reading, hope you have an answer

Whenever you put the DVD into the computer and you open it up, can you see any folders or files?

Yes I can. I see one that says "audio" and other that says "video". The one that says "audio" is empty. The one that says video has some files.

There are a few things you can try, the first is you can copy both the audio and video folders onto a new folder on your hard disc and see if Adobe will open the video files. They will have a .vob extension and be over 1GB in size, although you don't say what make of camcorder they were shot on, JVC has .mod files (yet another version of mpeg).

If Premiere doesn't open them, then the next thing is to try and convert them from one format to another, that usually goes from .vob to .avi which Premiere will work with no problem. This can be very much a hit and miss affair, with jerky playback or the sound being out of synch with the pictures. The next is, if you have a home DVD player with AV sockets out, use the S-Video instead of composite video for better picture quality, and run the cables into a Mini DV camcorder and run the Firewire cable from the camcorder into the computer.

Basically what you are doing is using the camcorder as an analogue to digital convertor. It takes a bit of setting up what with all the cables and changing menu settings but I found it a good system. And yes, the quality won't be as good as you are going from a digital signal on the DVD to analogue out on the back of your DVD player through the camcorder and out again as digital and into the computer, but if nothing else works this may be the only way to get the disc contents onto your computer. I haven't tried one of those external breakout boxes with audio and video sockets that you plug into a spare USB port, but if none of the above options work for you, then definitely look at them.

Default Yes it is

Yes the file format is .VOB What software is good to comvert it to .AVI Some time ago I tried that but couldn't find a software for it and thought that maybe that wasn't the solution.

Hey I just found out that theres some other file types. There is .BUP and .IFO
    ok this is what I have:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB

All this are in a folder called VIDEO_TS

Hey thanks everyone that read this; I have fix the problem. I found a software that converts .VOB to .AVI

THANKS YOU ALL

For other forum users who may be interested, what was the name of the software?

DVD to VCD AVI DivX Convert. This is not a freeware. I'm not sure if I want to buy it. Provably i'm going to look for something more simple and not as expensive

dam there was another program that i use which is free but for the life of me i cant remember the name, shit ummmm gordon maybe gordenrip or something stupid like that.....anyone know the name???

edit:

It is autogk :S but yea, its real simple to use and works fast, its my program of choice
    Last edited by BigTrev; 10-17-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast