Thread: Please Help a Novice

Default Please Help a Novice

Can anyone help me edit a video?? I'm a novice with this sort of thing.

I've got a loan of my friends sony camcorder and was going to make up some video's (and eventually dvd's) of his footage. I've installed the correct camcorder software and tried capturing a 2 minute clip on my PC to see how it worked out. But the file has come out at 600 MB, which is useless. I can't find anything in the instructions on how to deal with this.

Does anyone know how i can either re-size a video, or set up the camcorder to capture the footage in a workable size??

The camcorder is a sony handycam DCR-HC35E.

Cheers

Colin

Are you sure the file is 600MB in size? It is slightly more than the standard 3.6MB/sec required for DV footage. At that rate it only comes to 432MB, yes I know it's still big but video does take up a lot of hard disk space. You say the 600MB is useless, why is that? If it's only going on DVD's and not the net, then a DVD can take up to 4.7GB, although I would stop well below that, so you have lots of space.

Thanks for your reply. The file properties tell me it 609 MB.
    I was hoping to send any short video by email once edited. And each tape in the camcorder is 1 hour long, if 2 minutes = 600 MB, i've little chance of even putting the raw footage onto dvd the way things are right now!

If you want to send video by email, then you need to find out from your service provider how big the files can be. It isn't that big, usually around a few megabytes, I'm with a service provider who only allows 5MB, so you can see how much work (namely compression and reducing its physical size) would need to be done to reduce a high quality video file. Movie Maker is very good at making video files for the net and email but the quality is very low. If you aim to put movies that are under 1 hour in length onto DVD you shouldn't have any problems. The quality is still good and your audience won't fall asleep, always go for 'shorter is better', it's all about getting the correct amount of compression and still maintain good quality.

Ok, so in short, i cannot re-configure the camcorder settings or the capture software to reduce the file size from it's source. I would have to re-size the captured video, and then lose some of the quality. A friend had suggested using software like Nero 7 to re-size....i'm not familiar with it but will have a look at it.
    Thanks.

You could try shooting movies for the web if your camcorder has a memory card. I can shoot at 640 x 480 onto an SD card at 15fps and it does ok for the web. Yes, you can capture at full size using your software and then go through the settings and output a much smaller and lower quality file for the web. Again, check service providers website to see what limitations they impose on video clips.