Thread: I'm open to bad press

Blog Entries

Default I'm open to bad press

I tried to get linked to quite a large site yesterday. This is the reply:

Marc,

Although it's clear that you've spent a lot of time and trouble on the
    web site, I have to tell you that I don't see a lot there for my
    readers, largely because so much of what's there is out of date.

I'm also quite dubious about some of the advice you give, and not keen on the way in which there are links to ads, even on pages about products you couldn't get working.

As for the forums, well, our own forums are some of the best around, and
    I'd rather readers went there than your forums.

Bottom line?

Thanks but no thanks.
    So, it seems I need to update my site. Anyone got any ideas on new articles to improve www.marcpeters.co.uk and bring it up to date?

In my defence, I leave a lot that is deemed "out of date" because not everyone can afford the latest and greatest software and hardware. I also have no control over the ads, and hey, if the company's are willing to advertise, I say let 'em The advice I give is from my personal point of view gained from my experience and I certainly never claim to be an expert. Put simply, if it works for me, it'll work for everyone else.

Oh, and the two top listed software downloads at that particular site are Premiere 6 and Paint Shop Pro 7. Out of date?

also, taken from one prominent article:

The job of the processor is to perform the calculations required by the programs you are running. Processor speed has doubled in the last 12-18 months, and high-spec systems typically have clock speeds greater than 400MHz
    (RAM) Opt for a minimum of 64MByte, although 128MByte - or even 256MByte - is better
    Not so long ago you needed big money to pay for big hard drives, but now 20GByte and even 40GByte drives are affordable (in fact, these figures will probably already be out of date by the time you read this!).

Blog Entries

Another example

Marc,

Please do not take offense, but I have some concerns about your site.

There are a few interesting items on your site, but there are too many confusing things that I am sure would cause problems for many of my visitors. You are still on Premiere 6.0, while the rest of the world is on Premiere Pro, or at least Premiere 6.5. So your site hasn't been updated in 3 years?

You are also making the Nimo codec available, while raises serious problems for Premiere users.

Even your glossary is terribly out of date, or incomplete. And your link is to the WM8 GUI instead of the WM9 GUI.

If you decide to bring your site up to 2003 standards, please let me know, and I will gladly add it to my listings.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 4:34 PM
    To:
    Subject:

Hi there,

I'm sure you're absolutely inundated with emails about your site, so I'll keep it brief!

Although not as comprehensive as your site, my little video editing site has been growing over the last 3 years and I thought you may wish to exchange links. My site can be found at www.marcpeters.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Marc

---------------------------------------
    Marc Peters
    e: webmaster@marcpeters.co.uk
    w: www.marcpeters.co.uk

Again, in my defence, Premiere Pro had only just come out and most of us poor guys were still on Premiere 6.5 Additionally, Windows Media Encoder 9 had only just been released and I wanted to get my hands dirty with it before writing a review.

If only I had the time and money to keep this site updated daily as it seems is required :-(

Default Re: I'm open to bad press

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I tried to get linked to quite a large site yesterday.
    So who was it then? Go on tell us. I'll reply to my speeding ticket and swear blind it was them driving my car that day!

Blog Entries

Lets just say that it's a website of a leading video editing magazine.

I'm still curious about this. The only UK mag I know of is DVME. The only web site they have (no link provided ) is a 'please subscribe to this mag' page which currently (morning of 09 July 2004) advertises magazine #12 now on sale (current issue is actually #15 or 16). They do have some forums on the MSN forums site and of about half a doizen links on their links page, two of them are for dating agencies!!!!!!

Is there another magazine aimed at your average Joe then? the only other one I know is the one Marc's site advertises 'get a free copy' which looks like it's aimed at professionals.

I've actually been reading DVME since issue #9 and although I learned a lot from it, now I've been playing this game for a few months, the only asset of benefit in there anymore are the free resources (music and animated backgrounds) on the cover disk which are handy to have.

Used to take me all evening to read. Nowadays I can do it while the adverts are on in the middle of Coronation Street

Anyway Marc, I wouldn't sweat it. Mags have to be seen to be cutting edge in everything they do. Most average Joes doing some editing at home do not have 500 to blow on the latest copy of Premiere every year so the fact that you cater for the 'real' world is an asset I think.

Just my 2p

If you need any assistance with articles or bringng general info up to date, then feel free to drop me a mail.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

i say "EFF EM!"
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"