Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wierd overlay problem =/

Default wierd overlay problem =/

im new to Vegas so go easy

this is for a counterstrike video...

ive put an overlay of the name of the player when he is playing (the picture explains) but it cuts off at the left hand side, where i dont want it too... how can i change this?:

thanks
    -Mini

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting the screen grab - makes diagnosis a lot easier.
    It looks to me like you've inadvertantly either pan & cropped the overlay event (click on the green uppermost icon at the top right of the event on the timeline) OR you've introduced some track motion on the overlay event's track (click on the track motion icon on the track header).
    Tim

Firstly I agree with Tim! it is great to actually SEE what a colleague's issues are - makes life so much easier to attempt a diagnosis.

Secondly I disagree with Tim - I can't see a track motion track.

There is more to this than at first glance.

I notice you have the Preview at BEST and not showing the grid or Safe Areas? Why?

As you ARE showing AUTO then what we are seeing is what will be seen including that which is outside the Safe Area - following me?

This indicates to me that you have/had attempted to position the PSD into a place that works. Am I getting there? Meaning, why would you place OUTSIDE the safe area that which you want to show - I can see this as the PSD is bumping along the bottom edge of the Preview - yeah?

Firstly, switch back on the Safe Area indicator overlay, so you/we can actual datum the position so we all know. And secondly, I want to know the media information of that PSD?

Lastly, and with all I can muster up, I'd stick my neck out here and go with an attempt by you - quite rightly! - to get the PSD to do what you want. It does have all the smell of an attempt to re-align, front and centre - somehow!! TM? I think not Tim, I can't see any TM track there? Can you?

So 3 more Screen Grabs: Safe Area Overlay; Pan/Crop info; Media Info!

My money is on you doing P/C too with an outside 10:1 each-way bet on PSD PAR. But I have been wrong on countless times before!

And again! Thanks for posting Screen grabs!

Grazie

Y'know, minibiccy & Tim, this smacks of a "Match Aspect ratio" issue - yeah? Just a feeling .. ? Not right . . . ? Hmmm....

Grazie

Blog Entries

OK Grazie, you got me on the track motion - I'd clean forgotten about the keyframe tracks that appear

I wouldn't be so sure about the safe area stuff. You're assuming the video is intended for display on a TV - it may well be for a display in Windows or on YouTube etc in which case wouldn't the whole the whole area be "safe". I don't see the relevance of it anyway (but I'm happy to be educated) as even if minibiccy should be showing/using the safe area that wouldn't crop the overlay in the preview.

I'm with you on the most likely cause being P&C and quite possibly a Match Aspect ratio issue.
    Tim

How do i do "screen shots" like that so i can add them when i post ? I agree, it does make it easier to explain problems to other forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about the safe area stuff. You're assuming the video is intended for display on a TV - it may well be for a display in Windows or on YouTube etc in which case wouldn't the whole the whole area be "safe".
    Nope, I didn't assume that? I was only making the point that at present they are switched off. What I said was: "Firstly, switch back on the Safe Area indicator overlay, so you/we can actual datum the position so we all know." - I kinda indicated that I realise that they are, . .er . . indicators? No? Having them ON we could see where the edges lay, and call out in which direction to move P/C; change the Aspect ratio of a "loose" aspect ratio; say when AR is squishing or squashing . . or simply turn off P/C altogether. Having the Grids or Safe Areas up there kinda assists me in pointing the way. For example, I could see/tell, if the Grid or SA was on, whether the graphic was being unnecessarily distorted or not, as an attempt - to fit that lower third - yeah?

I don't see the relevance of it anyway (but I'm happy to be educated) . . . .
    The relevance is that it HAS been switched off. Why? I like to have the grid or safe areas as a guide to positioning elements. Nothing more, nothing less. My point, was, why have them off? Plus the other bit I wrote above.

. . .. as even if minibiccy should be showing/using the safe area that wouldn't crop the overlay in the preview.
    Again, I wanted to know "WHY" they have been turned off - and yes they are ONLY for guides, they don't crop the video themselves. Didn't think that for a moment.

I'm with you on the most likely cause being P&C and quite possibly a Match Aspect ratio issue.
    Well ( sucks knowingly on imaginary pipe .. that's if he smoked a pipe . . ), having the guides and grids switched off AND seeing the positioning of the overlay, bumping along the bottom, indicates to me an attempt to "make-good" that which is essentially outta whack.

I remember, when I first started out, having major issues understanding the need for graphics to match/set for my project parameters and THEN trying to make good by also using P/C.

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 10-09-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spilling and logic!!

Blog Entries

Grazie, I said "I'm happy to be educated", not "I need you to hammer this home relentlessly"
    Tim

when u say media info... what do u mean? is there a media info screen? or do you literally want me to tell you about the pic :/... cos there aint much to say lol

thanks alot for your help guys
    -Mini

Hey guy, my apologies. Sorry.

( note to self: "Don't assume ANYTHING!" )

Right click on the Event, either on the timeline OR the Project Media pane, and you will get into "Properties". 2 tabs - now 3 tabs in VP8! - and you can read it from the Video Event & Media tab.

Have you checked Pan/Crop yet?

Grazie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast