Thread: DVD Architect burning speed

Default DVD Architect burning speed

Hi folks,
    I've just built myself a shiny new PC (3Ghz dual core, Liteon 20x DVD writer etc.) so I can edit HD home videos. The long term goal is to put them onto HD-DVD / Bluray, but for the time being I just want to make some nice DVDs for family etc.
    So I'm surprised that my current project (2.1 Gb) is taking over 24 hours to burn using Sony DVD Architect, is this normal? I'm an experienced PC user, but this is my real experience of burning DVD Video so it could be I'm just being optimistic.

Some notes that might help analysis (assuming this thing is running slow):
    - The project was previously saved to hard disc, using MPEG2 / 5.1 Audio (AC3 file) and no re-compression was needed, so I assume it's just the burn that's taking the time.
    - I double checked that the CD Writer is DMA enabled
    - Er.. I should point out that I am running Vista which is causing me other problems (keeps breaking my NVIDIA RAID driver), so I guess this may be a contributing factor

Hmm DVD Architect has re-estimated my burn time upwards to 30 hours since I accessed this forum, guess I should have just left DVD Architect running on it's own...... ah well.

It should not take that long, I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it up to date? I think its up to 4.0b or 4.5?. If the file is mpeg 2 and ac3 all DVDA has to do is convert it to a vob file and burn it, maybe 1 hr max is all it should take.
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 10-07-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I suspected as much, so I'll have to spend some time looking into the hardware / software etc. to try and figure this one out.

Nero took less than 1/2 an hour to backup 11Gb of HD files to 3 single layer DVDs and this seems to point to an issue with DVD Architect - but I guess if this really was a problem with the software it would be plastered all over the forums, and it's not.

I'm using version 4.5 trial (I've checked the site and haven't seen anything to suggest the burn rates are limited in the trial version). I am going to buy the full version in the next few days, but obviously I'd prefer to get to the bottom of the problem first.

Thanks again for responding so quickly. It's late here so I'll be offline now until tomorrow but you've certainly given me food for thought.

Now don't laugh - but DVD Architect tells me I have 15 hours left now.... (Although this is an improvement on the 30 hours from earlier!)

If it helps the full spec for my PC is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    150Gb hard drive (having to rely solely on this until Vista works reliably with the other 900Gb Striped RAID)
    Nvidia 8600GT 512Mb
    Liteon 20x DVD RW/RAM etc.
    Vista 32bit

Unless they changed something Sony dose not allow you to render to mpeg or ac3 with the trial, but it should say that when you try to use them, So I'm thinking for some reason its hanging up instead of just alerting you. 4.5 just came out so it might be a bug and if thats the case sony should sort it out shortly. I cant say for sure since I'm still using Vegas 7 and dvda 4, but I do plan on the upgrade.

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2