Thread: Ismaning: A Silent Tribute

Default Ismaning: A Silent Tribute

After more than 50+ years of post WWII broadcasting service, the old Voice of America station at Munich (Ismaning), Germany closed in August. The satellite earth station there has been demolished and the equipment is shipping to our station in Kuwait. A staff engineer at Ismaning video taped portions of the dismantling work and sent it to me last week to make a brief visual documentation of the work.

This was a real challenge. He sent me at least an hour's worth of very short MPEG clips, all hand-held, covering a time-span of many days. Since there is nothing more boring to non-engineers than watching satellite dishes and control rooms being taken apart, in real time, I had to find a presentation formula that could hold an audiance. Besides making the short feature interesting and compressing a lot of time, I had to do it in a way that would give due respect to the station's employees, but do it using a little tongue-in-cheek humour that I know they would appreciate.

Feedback will be appreciated. This is the first time I've worked with someone else's video footage and their camera techniques or input into the content:

The clip runs about 04:20.
    Thanks

Very Nice, I thought it was going to be boring, but the silent film style worked well, What was the respone from ismaming?
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Very Nice, I thought it was going to be boring, but the silent film style worked well, What was the respone from ismaming?
    I'll let you know for sure tomorrow when the guys get to work and read their email and watch the link. I was the Deputy Manager of that station for three years, until last November when I was transferred to Kuwait. I'm sure they will get a kick out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Well, the response has been overwhelmingly very positive, so far. Even some of our headquarters folks in Washington got a big kick out of it. The Silent Movie style was, indeed, the kicker.

ha ha ha! Well, for "boring" subject material, the final product is most entertaining! I got a big kick out of this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Lengo View Post
    ha ha ha! Well, for "boring" subject material, the final product is most entertaining! I got a big kick out of this one!
    Thanks. I have had others make similar remarks.