Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menu pages

1. Question Menu pages

Hi this is my first posying since registering although I have viewed the forum for a long time and picked up many usefull tips however I have not found anything relating to what I want to achieve.
    To avoid a jump to the menu page when using Architect studio 4 I would like to be able to take a snapshot of the menu page and add it to the end of my intro video clip using 1 of the transitions this should then provide a smooth transition into the working menu. I know it is possible to take a still snapshot from a movie clip in Vegas Studio and that it is possible to save a complete menu as a theme in Architect but I cannot work out how to take a snapshot of the menu page. Can anyone help with this minor irritation please.
    Thanks in anticipation, red.kite

I'm not sure if you can, If any one would know it would be Grazie, He post here often so you should not have to wait long.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

This got me thinking - surely it can be done?

Here's a solution I just tried.
    Create a DVD project with the menu you want (don't worry about the actual content for now, just get the menu page right)
    Render this out (no need to burn)
    Now find the .VOB file which contains the menu (in my quick test it was called VTS_01_0.VOB).
    Copy/rename that file with an mpg extension (eg VTS_01_0.mpg)
    You can now import it into your VEGAS project. It contains a few frames each of each menu (or certainly did in my case). Presumably if you had video in your menus it would last as long as those.
    Anyway, simply take your snapshot from here and the rest you know how to do.

Note the above was based on ONE simple test case, but I'm sure that the principle will apply no matter how many menus you have - just find the right VPB file in your prepared DVD area.

Good luck.
    Tim

In DVDA 4.0:

Go > Preview > Copy to Clipboard > Paste into a Graphics package > Save as PNG or JPG > Re-import to where ever.

Grazie

5. Default

Hi Tim
    Thanks for the reply but I am unable to get this to work I have found the VOB and know it is the correct one from viewing it however when I rename it as .mpg it still shows as a VOB in details and when I load the file into Vegas 7 studio there appears to be nothing in the clip. I don't know if there is a difference between the Studio version to the full version.
    red.kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

6. Default

Hi Grazie
    I have tried tp copy to clipboard from DVD Architect in preview mode, I paused the replay and clicked copy to Clipboard.
    I do not have any graphic programs on my video computer but have Photoshop on my other machine, I tried to paste the clipboard into a pendrive to move the copy across to the other machine but there is no paste option available from the Right click button and CTRL V does nothing either, have you any suggestions as to where I am going wrong.
    I am using Vegas Studio 7 not the full version.
    red.kite
    Not enough time !!!

Blog Entries

OK Red, Coupla things:

Quote Originally Posted by red.kite View Post
    Hi Tim
    when I rename it as .mpg it still shows as a VOB in details
    red.kite
    Can you explain? What do you mean "in details". Are you sure you haven't got "hide extensions for known file types" turned on in Windows Explorer. If so, what you've done is renamed "VTS_01_0.VOB" as "VTS_01_0.MPG.VOB" this it'll still be seen as a VOB file.

Hi Tim
    I don't know if there is a difference between the Studio version to the full version.
    red.kite
    Well, I just tried this in my Vegas Studio version 6 and it recognised the renamed VOB file fine.

Anyway, Grazie's solution is quicker & better. And OF COURSE you have a graphics program. Microsoft Paint (Programs | Accessories | Paint, or Start | Run | mspaint)

Two solutions, you'll get one of them to work, I'm sure - don't hesitate to come back if more info needed
    Tim

8. Default

Thanks both for your patience, copy to clipboard and then paste into Paint, save as .PNG or .JPG works fine.
    I tend not to think about programs like paint in Windows as I try to keep my Video computer as clean as possible software wise due to major problems running Pinnacle studio 7 & 8 before I moved over to Vegas studio 7, which has been really stable.
    I was not able to rename the .VOB file to a .JPG from My Computer, would you be kind enough to explain how you rename a file to change the extension as I would like to try this to see how the 2 approaches compare.

Regards
    red.kite
    Not enough time !!!

I tend not to think about programs like paint in Windows as I try to keep my Video computer as clean as possible software wise

Sorry Mate! You were "contaminated" along with the rest of us - You can thank Dr Bill giving you this one.

Grazie

Blog Entries

I was not able to rename the .VOB file to a .JPG from My Computer, would you be kind enough to explain how you rename a file to change the extension as I would like to try this to see how the 2 approaches compare.
    Glad to. (you can ignore this background stuff)

Background 1.
    Filenames comprise the name itself and an extension, separtated by a ".". Windows associates certain extensions with certain programs. This is designed to make life easier allowing you to "run" a file without specifically opening the program. Examples
    My Letter.doc might open in MS Word (if you have it) or WordPad
    My Batch File.bat will attempt to run in the background in a DOS session
    My Video.mpg will open in Windows Media Player, Sony Vegas etc - DEPENDING upon what application has been "associated" with the .mpg extension
    My Video.VOB isn't known about though. And even if you told Windows to associate it with Vegas it still wouldn't work as Vegas doesn't recognise VOB files, as such.

Background 2.
    As Windows knows about .doc, .bat and .mpg it figures you don't really need to see those extensions, so, in its default state, Windows hides them from you. The result is that you might be looking in a folder which contains myfile.doc, myfile.bat, myfile.mpg and myfile.vob but Windows insists it contains 3 files called myfile and one called myfile.vob. Crazy, huh?
    To be fair there is one good reason for hiding the extensions and that is it prevents you from accidentally renaming the file with an incorrect extension. But you're not daft enough to do that, are you - especially as Windows will give you a great big warning if you attempt to change an extension.

You're an intelligent chap who actually WANTS to see AND potentially change file extensions.

Here's the how to...
    ====================
    Open Windows Explorer
    Select Tools | Folder Options from the menu
    Select the View tab
    Under Advanced settings you'll see an icon of a folder called "Hidden files and folders"
    Click in the radio button below that labelled "Show hidden files and folders"

Click OK and you're done.

You should now be able to see your .VOB file AND rename it as a .mpg file (not .jpg as you mistakenly said above). Once that's done, you sould be able to import that clip into your Vegas timeline.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast