Thread: Best editing software to output H264?

Default Best editing software to output H264?

Hi,
    I'm digitising all my VHS tapes and want to perform some basic editing on them before conversion to H264 (.mp4) so that I can play the files on my Xbox 360. Can anyone advise on some editing software that can output H264 .mp4 files? I've tried Pinnacle v11 (outputs to mpeg4 fine but no H264 compression) and Nero (outputs in problematic Nero digital format, again no H264).

I'd like some software that can capture, edit and ouput to H264 .mp4. Any ideas or am I being to fussy about H264 and should just go with the non H264 Pinnacle output which plays OK?

many thanks
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by adeg View Post
    Hi,
    I'm digitising all my VHS tapes and want to perform some basic editing on them before conversion to H264 (.mp4) so that I can play the files on my Xbox 360. Can anyone advise on some editing software that can output H264 .mp4 files? I've tried Pinnacle v11 (outputs to mpeg4 fine but no H264 compression) and Nero (outputs in problematic Nero digital format, again no H264).

I'd like some software that can capture, edit and ouput to H264 .mp4. Any ideas or am I being to fussy about H264 and should just go with the non H264 Pinnacle output which plays OK?

many thanks
    Ade

Have you tried to do a search on these forums? This type of question comes up a lot. You can also look here Comparison of video editing software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

h264 and mp4 are pretty much interchangable terms.
    Look in your quicktime video setting. You should see h264 output in there.
    Chec to be sure you
    ahve the latest version of quicktime on your system for the latest codecs to be installed.

Thank you , the Wikipedia page was helpful but I still cannot find a product that will capture, edit and convert to H.264. The Pinnacle Studio product uses an mp4 container but it does not use the H264 codec (I had checked in QT). I am surprised that this is so difficult. I am now using a combination of Studio 11 and Videora XBox converter but this means capturing, editing, outputting to MPEG-2 and then converting the MPEG-2 file in Videora.
    regards
    Adrian