Thread: Does vegas has a movie maker like feature that automatically create clips in a video

1. Default Does vegas has a movie maker like feature that automatically create clips in a video

widows movie maker has feature that more or less will generate clips and ussually if there is unrelated footage, it will automatically makes clips of different scenes or unrelated video does vegas has something like that ? it will save me from having to zoom all the way to be able to make precise cuts between scenes

If you are capturing directly from DV footage, using Vegas Video Capture program, Vegas will most certainly produce separate "clips".

However, I have no idea what else you are asking about zooming and unrelated video? Maybe others do.

Grazie

3. Default

sorry I think my made up terms are not correct,

lets say that I have a 12gb file of video, which has 4 different "events" film in it, I want to create 4 separate files, one file per event.

right now i can go in and split the video, take out what I don't want and render, this splitting sometimes has been tricky for me, as I spend time trying to get the cut just right - from the time one event and the other starts. I was wondering if vegas has a feature that will detect when one event ends and another starts( when I film, camera starts recording when the event and does not stop until it is over)

in windows movie maker I can select a clip in the "library display" right click and say, create clips. this then breaks down the video in several clips ... or at least that was my impresion...

If you are using the Vegas Video Capture Program, you need to :

Open Preferences in Video Capture Program:

GO > Options > Preferences

then . .

General Tab > Check "Enable DV device control"

then . .

Capture Tab > Check "Enable DV scene detection"

Then go ahead and capture your tape.

What Vegas will do is create files/clips/events with start and stop points the same as when you hit the RECORD button on your video camera.

Grazie

5. Default

this is great information thank you

By any chance do you know if this can be done after the fact. meaning with an avi file that is already in my pc

As capturing, by definition, it's already done? So not this way. What you are NOW asking about is a way to edit. I didn't think you wanted to know how to edit? I thought "I was wondering if vegas has a feature that will detect when one event ends and another starts( when I film, camera starts recording when the event and does not stop until it is over) " You mean, that which is already within the software! - And you are comparing this to your experience that WMM does/did for you? Is that right? You are comparing WMM with Vegas? Well, I'll let you into a secret - WMM has the same Scene detect option too! Yes! Amazing huh?!?? But you can't turn it off and on. You just get it! Now, if you HAD used the method I outlined when capturing in Vegas, you WOULD have had the scenes detected too. So, comparisons, here, are unnecessarily arbitrary.

Suffice it to say, Vegas has it. It does auto scene detect ON CAPTURE. It also has an advance capture option that allows you to review a tape and set up whole batches of scenes you may wish to capture. Does WMM do scene detect AFTER the event?

But we are now WITHIN Vegas, you didn't read the option to Detect Scenes - but your experience has been with WMM that did automatically do this for you - no loss.

You can now do one of 2 things.

1/- Delete ALL your previously "captured" footage and recapture doing the method I outlined - but you knew I was going to say that? Actually LEAVE the footage inplace just in case you get an issue with the tape!!!

OR

2/- Go through each and every minute and make SUBCLIPS or REGIONS of each piece you wish to make as scenes/clips/regions.

Too much work? Then try Option 1.

Your call,

Grazie

7. Default

thank you for the follow up, I will certainly plan to do option one in the future, unfortunatelly in the last year I managed to capture a couple of hundred GB that now reside in my HD, while I reused the tapes over and over.

I have now moved to Vegas,so I am learning better video storage practices.

thank you once again

Pc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pielcanela View Post
    while I reused the tapes over and over.
    {snip}
    I have now moved to Vegas,so I am learning better video storage practices.
    And I hope one of those better practices is NOT to reuse tapes. They are so cheap and provide an excellent archive. You might as well have used a hard disk camcorder.

I figure what you want to do ought to be possible - the timecode is still there and software that analyses changes in the video should still work. From a quick google, it looks like Premiere Elements and Cyberlink Power director (possibly others) both allow scene detection after capture. May be worth downloading demos - if they work run all your captured footage through them before your trial expires.
    Tim

9. Default

thank you that is great idea, I will give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by pielcanela View Post
    unfortunatelly in the last year I managed to capture a couple of hundred GB that now reside in my HD, while I reused the tapes over and over.
    You did this, without ever once considering enabling scene detect? Not even asking? Wow! You are very patient indeed.

I never reuse project tapes. I reuse Vegas "experimental" tapes, sure. But my footage is for keeps. Heavens knows what am gonna do when I finally get a chip camera? Hopefully by then chips will be a Quid.25 or less!!

I still can't get over you capturing a couple hundred gig of footage - thru' Vegas? - without even asking about scene detect. And knowing you get it in WMM? - I learnt from this too!

Grazie