Thread: how would you spend 5k?

Default how would you spend 5k?

I was shunned from cinematography.com because of being a noob (my question is). So maybe ill get some help here, here is my post:

I want to invest as much as 5k in a camera and computer. I am going to try to do some weddings to regain some money but its not my ultimate goal, but bad lighting i guess is something to consider in the meantime.

My goal is to have the best setting possible that gives me good quality, I guess thats defined by the budget, but I have a day job, so what I am really interested in is: losing the least amount of time on compression, decompression, transforming from one format into another, but at the same time I'm willing to spend more time if I can work with HD on this system (and if the budget allows it). I want to keep it very simple, just shoot, transfer into PC, edit (HD prefferably), and produce a DVD (blue ray or HD DVD if not impossible). Oh and i want the final product to be on 16:9.

To recap: Camera with 16:9, 3ccd, good handling low light, under $3,500.00, records in a ready-to-use format for Adobe Premiere CS3 (or another suggested software with minimal loss of quality, or with mininal loss of time to transfer into another format if necessary). It its capable of producing an HD final product it would be a super plus.

So, what would be the best camera?

Sony HDR-FX7 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-FX7-High-De...0743&sr=1-1
    Canon XH A1 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XH-A1-High-Def...0836&sr=1-1
    Canon XL2Canon XL2
    Panasonic Pro AG-DVX100B
    Panasonic Pro AG 100b

Which Computer?

Gateway GT3076m $1,300 aprox

Funciones:
    . Procesador Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E43001
    . Windows Vista® Home Premium Original 2
    . Monitor Gateway® LCD de 22" (widescreen HD)
    . Memoria DDR2 de 2GB de canal dual
    . Unidad de disco duro SATA II de 400GB a 7200rpm3
    . Unidad de DVD±RW 16x multiformato de doble capa

Will it work with an INTEL 950 video card (default) or am i gonna have to put a Video card in it? It has PCIx16 ready.

or..

Dell Precision 390 (as is) $1,500 aprox
    Core 2 duo E4300
    2GB ram
    Nvidia Quadro FX550 128mb
    19" monitor
    80gb disc

Which editing software?

Is Adobe Premiere CS3 the best option for mr? (consider las vegas, pinnacle, avid possibly).

I know i am answering my own question here.. but help me out, all i can see is the specs and tech, i know there is more to it than what i can conclude by reading tech reports and prices.

And what would be the average price to pay for a wedding 1h video with this equipment, with an average editor (i mean, what should i charge per wedding if i manage to work one.?.. hehe.

Please post your recommended equip combo for my needs, thanks.

Many Thanks.

They are all good.

Asking for a recommendation though is not very scientific - people tend to recommend the stuff that they use. The best judge will be your own hands and eyes. Camcorderinfo.com can provide a lot of technical info and reviews, but they are no substitute for hands-on time.

Software choice is even more personal - the choice at the level that you describe narrows probably to either Vegas or Premiere. Pinnacle is crap, and Avid is more often the weapon of choice for the broadcast pro.

You made no mention of mics or sticks - these cannot be left out, IMHO.

Wedding videos require a lot of time and talent if they are to be done properly. They are a huge responsibility. Poor results expose you to litigation and crushed testicles from disappointed brides. Are you up to it?

Witty signature text coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Fernandez View Post
    I was shunned from cinematography.com because of being a noob (my question is). So maybe ill get some help here, here is my post:

I want to invest as much as 5k in a camera and computer. I am going to try to do some weddings to regain some money but its not my ultimate goal, but bad lighting i guess is something to consider in the meantime.

My goal is to have the best setting possible that gives me good quality, I guess thats defined by the budget, but I have a day job, so what I am really interested in is: losing the least amount of time on compression, decompression, transforming from one format into another, but at the same time I'm willing to spend more time if I can work with HD on this system (and if the budget allows it). I want to keep it very simple, just shoot, transfer into PC, edit (HD prefferably), and produce a DVD (blue ray or HD DVD if not impossible). Oh and i want the final product to be on 16:9.

To recap: Camera with 16:9, 3ccd, good handling low light, under $3,500.00, records in a ready-to-use format for Adobe Premiere CS3 (or another suggested software with minimal loss of quality, or with mininal loss of time to transfer into another format if necessary). It its capable of producing an HD final product it would be a super plus.

So, what would be the best camera?

Sony HDR-FX7 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-FX7-High-De...0743&sr=1-1
    Canon XH A1 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XH-A1-High-Def...0836&sr=1-1
    Canon XL2Canon XL2
    Panasonic Pro AG-DVX100B
    Panasonic Pro AG 100b

Which Computer?

Gateway GT3076m $1,300 aprox

Funciones:
    . Procesador Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E43001
    . Windows Vista® Home Premium Original 2
    . Monitor Gateway® LCD de 22" (widescreen HD)
    . Memoria DDR2 de 2GB de canal dual
    . Unidad de disco duro SATA II de 400GB a 7200rpm3
    . Unidad de DVD±RW 16x multiformato de doble capa

Will it work with an INTEL 950 video card (default) or am i gonna have to put a Video card in it? It has PCIx16 ready.

or..

Dell Precision 390 (as is) $1,500 aprox
    Core 2 duo E4300
    2GB ram
    Nvidia Quadro FX550 128mb
    19" monitor
    80gb disc

Which editing software?

Is Adobe Premiere CS3 the best option for mr? (consider las vegas, pinnacle, avid possibly).

I know i am answering my own question here.. but help me out, all i can see is the specs and tech, i know there is more to it than what i can conclude by reading tech reports and prices.

And what would be the average price to pay for a wedding 1h video with this equipment, with an average editor (i mean, what should i charge per wedding if i manage to work one.?.. hehe.

Please post your recommended equip combo for my needs, thanks.

Many Thanks.
    Shunned at cinematography.com huh, I post there as well, never had a problem, it is more mainstream film industry there. Personaly I like the DVX, it records both 24fps and 29.97. As far as capture is concerned it will take as long as the tape is. All the software will take time to learn, get the trials and see what works for you.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Well, I wasnt 'shunned' exactly, it was more like corrected and then turned down by a single person, who instead of just typing "dvx, gateway, avid" for example, he chose to suggest i go elsewhere.

But anyway, the point is, bert, that i dont know if certain cameras are not a good match with certain software choices, or if it takes longer to transfer files into one software than another, or if it loses quality, etc. I want to reduce loss of quality from camera to final product as much as possible, or not have a loss altogether if possible. I think someone out there may know about this, looking trough more tech reports is not going to help me anymore, I think i read it all. But hey, its fine if no one really knows.

I know how i would start filiming weddings, maybe for free, as a concept video, not the main one, so the responsibility is less, and take it from there. Im sure im not going to let anyone crush my testies.

Rather then doing a wedding by your self for free, Ask a wedding videographer in your area if you can shhot second or third camara for free, you'll learn alot and don't have the possibility of ruining some ones wedding, not that you would.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction