Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inserting image

Default Inserting image

How do i insert the transparent image onto a movie file so that can be seen during a small section of the file, i am new to this.

Presumably you want to watch your video with the graphic overlayed over the top with moving video showing throught eh 'transparent' parts. here's how.

Import your video and your still (must have an alpha channel defined i.e. transparent parts).

Drag and drop your video onto video track 1. Drag and drop your still somewhere on track 2. Hit the ENTER key. Voila! all done!

The video tracks are arranged so that the higher the number the nearer the top it will be. So the image on track two will be seen over the top of track one, your video, except where it's transparent and the layer 'below' (your video) shows through.

Hope this helps.

How do i define the alpha channel?

You do that in your drawing package of choice. In photoshop there is a very handy option when you create a new image to start with a transparent background, rather than leaving it all white.

I still cant get it working, what file type should the still be. When i import it it asks if i want to merge layers, should i?

Try Photoshop's PSD format. Probably any format that preserves the alpha channel will likely do. Haven't experimented to any great extent.

I shouldn't really matter if you merge or don't merge layers to be honest.

If you don't merge then your Premiere timeline will have more video tracks on it, one for each layer. That might be overkill for what you want to merege them if it;s truly a 'still' you have.

The only time I did not merge layers is the 'Coming Summer 2004' bti at the end of my trailer. It had a second layer with the 'Not... ever' bit on it and as, for a while, I wanted one layer without the other, I left the layers separate so I could control them incdependently.

If you're still having troubles then catch me on MSN most UK evenings and we can walk through it together. MY MSN addy is alan@alanadmills.co.uk or just send me your 'image' to the same email address and I'll check it out.

It doesnt think the files are transparent,what could this be?

So what 'drawing' package are you using? presumably someone will be familiar with it and can tell you what to do to make your 'background' transparent. Maybe even post a small copy of your image here as well so we can see what's happening?

millsy, wouldn't it be a lot easier just to chroma key it?
    Aim for the Moon - If you miss, you may hit a Star

AMD Athlon64 3000+
    48x CD burner
    16x Dual Layer DVD burner
    512 Mb RAM
    Windows XP Pro/Debian unstable
    Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
    Firewire card
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    2 x 17" CRTs, 1 x 17" TFT

Chroma keying is not a perfect science unless you spend loads of money doing it properly. Starting your overlayed image in Photoshop with a transparent background, is.

It can be done like that though, if you find it easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast