Thread: Urgent Help With Software And Quality

Default Urgent Help With Software And Quality

hello people i am a newby to this site, and digital imaging and i am about to pull my hair out....

i have bought a sony handycam and finding it hard to transfer film to pc tried using sony picture package which comes with cam but had no luck with it so then tried it with windows movie maker, i can now get movie onto pc and convert it from wmv file to dvd using ( dvd santa) and copy to disc but when playing it in dvd player the quality seems quite grainy and not the same as if you watch it on pc or play it back on cam.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APRICIATED.

REGARDS NEIL

Did you use USB or Firewire to connect the camcorder to the computer? If you used USB then that might explain the problem, it won't give the same quality as using a Firewire cable. Did you capture the file as a wmv or when you were in WMM did you export it as a wmv? In either case the quality won't be as good as using DV-AVI.

pardon my ignorance what is dv-avi and yes i transfered via usb and it automatically saved in wmv didnt no how to change it.

also what is the best software to use?

Does that Sony handycam have a Firewire or iLink as Sony likes to call it? If it does, then use it instead of the USB, the Firewire/iLink is the de facto method of connecting camcorders to the computer. DV-AVI is a high quality video file format that is used in the initial transfer of video from Mini DV camcorders, it is then edited and rendered to mpeg and this file is then burned to DVD. I would only use wmv for files that are going to be played back on the computer or put on the net. Windows Movie Maker is limited in what it can do, so I would suggest an all in one editor like Adobe Premiere Elements or Pinnacle Studio where you can capture, edit and burn to DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Does that Sony handycam have a Firewire or iLink as Sony likes to call it? If it does, then use it instead of the USB, the Firewire/iLink is the de facto method of connecting camcorders to the computer. DV-AVI is a high quality video file format that is used in the initial transfer of video from Mini DV camcorders, it is then edited and rendered to mpeg and this file is then burned to DVD. I would only use wmv for files that are going to be played back on the computer or put on the net. Windows Movie Maker is limited in what it can do, so I would suggest an all in one editor like Adobe Premiere Elements or Pinnacle Studio where you can capture, edit and burn to DVD.

i have just just purchased a firewire card and installed it, it also came with ulead's video studeo 5 so tried it, but when copying to cd it was the same all grainey and bad quality what format do you copy it to get better quality when putting it on cd.

if someone has the time and patience could you pls let me no what u use ( software ) and a step by step guide

regards neil
    Last edited by maxed; 10-08-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Glad to hear you have everything working (almost), the quality of video on cd is very low (mpeg1 - very high compression, as you only have 650 to 700mb of storage on a cd compared to 4.7gb on dvd), can you not burn out to dvd instead? If you can't then a you may need to get some new software such as Pinnacle Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements which allows you to capture, edit and burn out to dvd.