Thread: I am confused even more, what format should I encode too -- please help

1. Default I am confused even more, what format should I encode too -- please help

I been reading all around the web, and the only thing I can say is that I am even more confused on what should I do.

My issue: I take video with my dv camera every weekend ( dance practices) so I have lots of videos and my 500GB hardrives are running out of space.

My goal: to find the best posible format (dvd like quality) to enconcde this videos for posperity.

notes: I will not be making dvds out of this clips, they will be in my computer, and be played in it ( I may use some clips later to put some sort of documentary, but only a few clips)

please help

So you will be making DVD's at some stage in the future, if this is the case then use mpeg2 and for viewing on computer, well you're really spoiled for choice. Depending on how much space you want to give up, the file formats can either be avi, mov, wmv etc etc. Most will playback in Windows Media Player or Realplayer if you have any problems, it will mostly be from codecs not being on your computer, it's just a matter of making a note of them and finding them on the net and installing them.

3. Default

so should mpeg2 only be reserved for dvd-destined footage.

I was thinking to convert all my avi footage to mpeg2 ( only because I thought that this will be the best format) will converting it to mpeg2 destroy my chance to later go back and lets say increase the brigness in the video ?

is mpeg2 then not the best thing for wathcing in computer? I am willing to give space I think 2GB per hour will be a good compromize for me. ( is the 12GB per hour that overwhelming my hd)

thank you for your advice

Yes mpeg2 is for DVD production and no I wouldn't convert all my files to mpeg if I wanted to go back and edit them some time in the future. On the other hand if you have the storage space then why not have both avi and mpeg copies of your videos, but you'll still have to go back and use the avi's as they work much better with NLE's. Yes, you can save the files you want to watch on computer as mpegs but you are not restricted to just that format.

5. Default

storage space has been the problem because every week I shot about an hour of videos so keeping it at avi has quickly overwhelm my storage options.

to preserve for eding purpose is there any other format than avi that works well ? keeping at AVI is not longer an option sadly so I guess now i am trying to find a compromize between what is the second best option to storage this videos

thank you for assistance things are becoming a lot clearer now

w

Blog Entries

Slightly off topic, I know, but this is PRECISELY the reason I believe cameras that record to TAPE (eg MiniDV) are preferable to HDD, or Memory Stick. Sure, it takes longer to transfer to to PC but tapes are cheap and assuming you don't reuse them not only are they self archiving, but you will always have the original source to go back to in the future.
    Tim